Metcalfe county,Kentucky...Anyone?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Jagger, Jun 19, 2004.

1. Jagger

Jagger Well-Known Member

Anyone down that way? I was looking at some land and a cabin in the eastern part of the county. Edmonton is like 14 miles away. Another town Barley or Burley is also about 14 miles away. I think i was in Edmonton once, but i do not remember it at all. What is it like? What is the county like? How are the people? Ever hear of or deal with Estes Realty?

Jagger

2. MoonShine

MoonShine Fire On The Mountain

I'm not in Metcalfe but I have heard of it many times. I imagine that my Dad has been around that way plenty of times. I'll ask around and see if I can find out anything for you. It's good to hear everything you can before you make a purchase.

3. Beeman

Beeman Well-Known Member

Call the Kentucky Headhunters, they're from Metcalf County.

4. joan from zone six

joan from zone six Well-Known Member

check population density maps - very few people live in south central KY - for some very good reasons

5. Jagger

Jagger Well-Known Member

Joan from zone six, what do you mean? What are the reasons?

Anyone know of the town of Glassgow, i think its spelled???? I like SC KY it's a real pretty area, alot like SE OH. A little better growing season/region.

Jagger

6. Snowdancer

Snowdancer Well-Known Member

I live in Metcalfe County-Summer Shade to be exact.
    What do you want to know??

We moved to Metcalfe,Co late in 1998 so we've been residents for about 5 1/2 yrs now. We bought one piece of land from Estes-Glenda Harlow was the agent we worked with It went ok, but be very sure you check any info given with the proper authorities instead of just taking any of the agents words as fact. Glenda was pretty up front when she didn't know something but I do know there's a few other agents with Estes that will pretty much tell you what they think you want to hear leaving you with some pretty big surprises once you've bought a property.
    The local banks, Edmonton State & South Central both seem quite anxious to help even out of town people finance land or small homesteads.

We have a 40 acre homestead(bought in two parcels-one had the house) but as others have said, there's very little in the way of jobs-at least stable, full time with benefit type jobs. There are a lot of fast food and minimum wage work available. The new Lowe's home center is going to be opening soon and is supposed to be hiring a large number of new employees within the next few weeks/months. If you're looking for work and don't mind a commute of about 50 miles then Bowling Green has quite a good job base but if you want to work in Edmonton or Glasgow the pickings are much slimmer but not totally hopeless. ;)

Just make a list of questions and I'll do my best to answer them. :)

I can tell you that since I was from Wisconsin this area is much different and takes some getting used to.
    I've found it to be hot, humid and there are many more bugs including scorpions & snakes including copperheads and moccasins here in the Summer. Our farm is wooded so that may be why we have so many insects & snakes. Our son killed a 3 1/2' copperhead near the front of his cabin 3 weeks ago-he ended up tanning the skin. We have black & red scorpions-something no one told us about before we moved here. :eek: I have never been bit/stung by one but they do find their way into the house quite often-one of our dogs got stung on the tongue but other than a slight swelling had no other problems...
    Coyotes and bobcats are the biggest threats to poultry so secure housing is a necessity. We had a 55 # bobcat on our wrap around front porch-I don't know who was more shocked me or the bobcat! :haha:

Check with your auto insurance agent regarding the cost of auto insurance: the rates in Metcalfe are quite high-we pay as much as we did in California and we're both over 50, homeowners and get the good driver discount. I don't know what the rates would be like for younger people. For us Progressive was the cheapest of 11 different agencies but I'm sure there are others for you to check out that may be better for your age/location/needs.

Property taxes are much lower than the national average.
    Food is about average and gas is running $ 1.69 as of today.
    Sales tax is 6% except on food. There is a 3% tax on all utilities-gas,water,electric.
    Metcalfe doesn't have any zoning except in Edmonton proper. We do have mandatory septic inspection before the electric company will hook in your electric. You don't have to have a septic system if you have over 10 acres but you can't get electric without it.
    The schools are fair but I'm only going by what others have said, our son is almost 26!
    Metcalfe county along with Barren County, Cumberland County and Monroe county are all dry. If you want a beer/liquor you have to drive to within the Bowling Green city limits or down into TN to purchase.

All I will say is if I had known what I do now; I would probably have chosen TN over this area. That is mostly my own problems with still being called and treated as the 'outsider' and not indicitive of how others who moved here may feel. The area is pretty and the people are fairly friendly once they learn to trust you-but it's a slow process. :rolleyes:

Best of Luck
    Kathy

Let me know what other questions I can answer.

7. Jagger

Jagger Well-Known Member

Ky guest- Thanks for all the info. You answered alot of my questions already. The property we are looking at is 10 acres w/ cabin. No electric. The electric is over a mile away. What i've been told by the land agent, is that it would be very costly to run a line to the property. So this place is off-grid. The land sits on a old county road that is no longer maintained by the county. Steep wooded land, just what i want. I get along with people pretty well. Especially in a rural area. I'm a good ol' boy. I don't mind the low paying job thing. I'm used to that. I will virtually have no bills, except for the land payment, vehicle upkeep/tags/fuel, no electric bill, no utility bill,and in essence very little food bill almost nothing. In fact if i had a cheaper vehicle like a small motorcycle i would need even less money. Anyway, i kinda got sidetracked. Do you have a well? How deep is it? We are just looking around. But we really like the looks of this place.It is well in our price range. With good terms. A little high on the interest rate, but can't have it all. I have pictures of it in my email but i dont know how to post them.? Thanks for the info again.

Jagger

8. Snowdancer

Snowdancer Well-Known Member

Yeah jagger, getting electric run that far would be costly. Before we bought the piece of property with the house we planned on building on the 33 acres we already had. It wasn't quite a mile from the existing line and the electric company estimated it to be about $8-9,000!!

We don't have a well, we have a year round heavy running spring for 'pure' water, in fact our spring was the water source for the surrounding area before the county water lines were constructed. Our end of the county also has county water to even the most remote locations.
    The back of our property is bordered by Marrowbone creek so we have plenty of water. :haha:

One thing I forgot to tell you is all of these little towns have Friday and Saturday evening auctions. So if you're looking for items for building or home type stuff and don't mind auctions you can get some very good deals.

The place sounds nice! I hope you guys are able to get it. Our son and daughter in law just moved onto our farm, they have a 12 X 30 cabin and although they have electric; so far they are using a hose from my house for their water needs-just the opposite of what you guys will have. :)

If you do decide to buy the place let me know and I can help direct you towards some reasonable and honest feed dealers, auto mechanics and such. I didn't know anyone down here when we moved to KY so I had to learn on my own- I made some expensive mistakes along the way. :(

Best of Luck and let me know if I can be of any help.

Blessings,
    Kathy

9. jukebox

jukebox Well-Known Member

Kathy,

Why would you rather live in TN? I have the feeling that there just might be more to it than the feeling that folks could be more friendly.

I have heard that TN has horrible taxes and have experienced some of it in traveling and staying in the state. Although motel taxes are always high, it still is unreal what they charge in the stores.

I guess though each state is going to get their share of the taxes one way or another.

Lynne in GA