Metal stud question.

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by r.h. in okla., Aug 1, 2006.

1. I've seen several houses made with steel studs. In fact I wired several a few years ago. They had poured cement foundation and then used heavy guaged steel frame studs for the exterior walls and a lighter guaged stud for the interior walls. Then used wooden truses for the roof.

My question is can you use the heavy guage steel studs for floor rafters in a block foundation? I'm thinking of having steel studs for floor rafters. Then plywood on top of that, then steel studs for the exterior walls. Expensive maybe! But wouldn't have to worry about termites and slugs as much.

2. LagoVistaFarm

LagoVistaFarm Well-Known Member

Steel Joists are used on commercial buildings all the time. Usually a little different shape than studs.

3. The Paw

The Paw Well-Known Member

I'm no expert, but since the load on the stud/joist is different, I think they are not interchangeable. With a stud, the load is vertical and the stud is in compression. A joist, being flat, would have load applied on the side and may not be engineered to take that load.

As LagoVista suggests, I am sure you can get steel joists or i-beams but they are make a different shape to handle the load differently. I suspect the steel joists don't take a nail or sheetrock screw the way a metal stud would.

4. LagoVistaFarm

LagoVistaFarm Well-Known Member

If you use plywood you still may have a termite problem. If you really are going to go with steel joists you may want to consider the whole system. If you use a steel floor decking with radiant heat and lightweight concrete you will have a very comfy home. You may be broke. I don't know your budget.

The price of steel does not look like it is going down soon while the price of lumber may be topped out.

5. Hoosierdaddy

Hoosierdaddy Well-Known Member

I'm an estimator for a wall and ceiling contractor, steel framing is about the only framing we do. Yes steel studs can be used for joists. Go to www.clarksteel.com - worksite - solution finder - joist tables. This will tell you limiting spans for various stud depths and gauges. Good luck

Brett

6. Thanks Hoosierdaddy, that site answered my questions. I'm not building yet but want to start planning and buying the material. The houses that I done the electrical work on kind of inspired me to go that way if I ever build a house. But I have always liked crawl spaces underneath for if I ever need to add another electric outlet or some type of plumbing in the future.

Thanks everyone for your replies.