Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are rehabbing our double wide and are thinking about putting on new metal siding. I see a few online stores that sell roof metal (painted in the color you want) for about $2.50 to $3.00 per linear foot (36" width). Is this a reasonable price? Does anyone have any experience using roof metal for siding on a home? Pros and cons? I was going to buy the insulating Styrofoam sheets that they sell at Lowes (the 4x8 ft ones) to put under the metal and use standard roof screws (with the rubber on them) to attach the metal to the plywood exterior.

Any opinions/experiences welcome!

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
3,216 Posts
Many people are going to the pole mark siding on houses. To attach it, first you want to put some 1x4 stringers on, attached to your studs, then cut your foam to fit between the stringers, (24 inch on center), then your metal.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Many people are going to the pole mark siding on houses. To attach it, first you want to put some 1x4 stringers on, attached to your studs, then cut your foam to fit between the stringers, (24 inch on center), then your metal.

Great advice, thanks!!

·
If I need a Shelter
21,532 Posts
Metal doesn't burn. Saved my place couple times but I also was using Oak which is harder to ignite.

big rockpile

·
Just howling at the moon
6,586 Posts
I've seen quite a few double wides with T-111 siding. You wouldn't need stringers over that. Check to make sure it isn't some kind of particle board/masonite as that would require stringers.WWW

Reactions: ognend

·
I calls em like I sees em
13,915 Posts
It is trickier to seal up around doors and windows because of the corrugations. They make "J" channel to help with this. If there is solid sheathing, no need for stringers. I would put on a vapor barrier under the metal, though.

Some folks near us built a brand new house, they used corrugated metal for siding and roofing and it looks great. It is a very nice home. Should save on insurance since it is fire-proof and so much tougher than typical house siding.

Reactions: Dixie Bee Acres

·
Premium Member
3,216 Posts
Mo cows does bring up a good point, you have more costs than just the siding. There is a starter ledge trim piece that you want to start with, that will keep mice and such from crawling up into the ribs. Then you have J trim to put around all doors and Windows, and I would also use that against the soffit. Then once the siding is all on, a corner trim piece to wrap each corner.
And yes, even if you are going to use Styrofoam sheeting, I would still use a vapor barrier such as tyvec under the metal.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you all very much for the advice! I will take pictures and report back when it is done :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts