Metal roofs and gutters

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by bstuart29, Jan 21, 2007.

1. bstuart29

bstuart29 Well-Known Member Supporter

Has anyone else had trouble with ice ripping off gutters when you have a metal roof? This has happened to me twice in about 6 weeks. Any suggestions to stop it?

Billy

2. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

Yes, I experienced the problem with gutters. There are accessories on the market to minimize or eliminate the situation. The cheapest fix is a formed piece of angle made from the same material as the roofing mounted horizontal to the eve. The formed angle is screwed to the top ridge in the corrogation for the length of the building. This approach simple eliminates the ice from sliding down the roof pitch thus pushing the gutter apart or off..

3. anniew

anniew keep it simple and honest Supporter

I had a metal roof put on a year ago Dec. and was advised not to put up gutters. I went with the advice.

4. Rod Torgeson

Rod Torgeson Well-Known Member

I have a metal roof on the house, garage/shop and barn an do not have gutters. If I did the snow would rip them right off.

Rod<---in Appleton, WA

5. fantasymaker

fantasymaker Well-Known Member

if you must have gutter put them below the angle of the slope of the roof so that wen the ice sleds it passes over them. But not to much or the water will flow past them too.

6. MELOC

MELOC Master Of My Domain

having no gutters cannot be a good thing for the foundation.

7. doohap

doohap Another American Patriot

Couldn't the area along the drip-line be prepared in a way as to minimize or eliminate any damage to the foundation, such as a gravel-filled trench along that line?

Peace and smiles,
    doohap

8. hoofinitnorth

hoofinitnorth Well-Known Member

fantasymaker has it right - if the gutters are properly installed just below the angle of the roof's slope, the ice will not be able to tear off the gutters. HOWEVER, that does assume you aren't getting ice dams or other build-up, which indicates other problems. You may need to run a heat tape through your gutters so THEY aren't what's building up with ice or maybe add screens if they are cluttering up with leaves & debris or just keep them clean. If it's your roof that's building up with ice, you may have excess heat escaping from your house that is causing the snow thereon to melt and slide.

9. beowoulf90

beowoulf90 Well-Known Member Supporter

Unfortunately that dosen't always work. I've re-hung my gutters twice now and they came down again. I am almost to the point of putting snow hooks on the roof, the problem is that with snow hooks you will now have the weight of the snow on your roof longer. In most cases that might not be a problem, but with our home being 240 yo it might be a problem if the rafters, joists and timbers aren't in good shape.

10. fantasymaker

fantasymaker Well-Known Member

Something must be strange about your roof.How is the Ice taking the gutters out if they are below the slide line?

In any case DooHap 's Idea should work too, simplely dig a V shaped trench around your house put drain tile in the bottom amd backfill with round stone.(around here we call it river rock) About potato size seems to work well.You want something that will stay in place and allow plenty of perculation.

Just outa curiosity How has it worked for the last 240 years?

11. Terri

Terri Singletree & Weight Loss & Permaculture Moderator Staff Member Supporter

If you put the rock RIGHT against the foundation you would have water draining from the yard to right against the foundation..

Perhaps it would work better to put the drain a few inches out, with a mound against the foundation?

12. PinonHillLady

PinonHillLady Well-Known Member

We have something called Snow Guards. They're plastic things that are screwed into the roofing that keep the snow from forming those spectacular arches that rip off the gutters.

This is our first year with a metal roof and those Snow Guards have been put to the test here in Colorado. They seem to work great.

PHL

13. dragonfly1113

dragonfly1113 Well-Known Member

We bought a house that had been completely remodeled from bottom to top. It has a metal roof. There are no gutters and when we asked about it they stated that the tin came out too far. Our only problem with this is on our back porch. The rain hits the porch and bounces on our back door and has rotted under the metal thing at the bottom of the door. So we are going to have to put a roof over our porch once that is done, then problem solved. I hope you find a solution to your problem.