metal pole barn roof leaking

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by roberto9653, Jul 24, 2004.

1. roberto9653

roberto9653 New Member

anyone have ideas how to stop this roof from leaking we have used roof cement in the past but did not work well.

2. Blu3duk

Blu3duk Well-Known Member

build a new roof? spray concrete with flyash mixed in [hardens concrete] over the entire existing roof.

Sometimes starting over is the only option if you have tried the sealing part. If it is a metal roof that is nailed, you might try pulling the nails, and replacing them one at a time with screws which will hold better and wont allow the water in for awhile longer.

3. Standing seam, ribbed, 'W'??? What is the pitch, or is it a rounded roof? Galvinised or the Galvalume (can't spell...) or is it painted?

What is leaking, seams or holes or nail holes or?

Is it leaking just on a seam, or by an obstruction like a vent or chimney?

What's holding the metal on, nails or screws? What shape is the lead or rubber gaskets on the nail or screw shank? Are the nails pulling loose, or were they put in too tight?

I'm just full of questions today, ain't I? :)

--->Paul

4. roberto9653

roberto9653 New Member

this building is 25 years old approx. not built by myself pounded in the nails again never heard of spraying concrete what do you spray it with? Thanks for your info

5. roberto9653

roberto9653 New Member

metal pole bldg 7/12 pitch, painted, round rubber gaskets on nails, that may be pulling loose assuming leaking by them or seams or both it is 25 years old not built by myself so tried hammering nails as they seem to loosen up thru the years.Resealed with fibercore where I thought was leaking.

6. If the tin is good, replacing the nails with roof screws would sure be the way to go, but lotta work & some $$$.

I've had better luck with silicone caulking than the other types on my metal roofs.

If the nails are to the point they work loose easily, not much else to do but replace with longer or screws, as the metal will always move up on you & expose seams.

Some folks have worked with the mobil home roof sealers, you just glob the stuff on the whole roof & spread around, but not really my cup of tea, just doesn't seem to be a good fix esp for this problem?

--->Paul

7. roberto9653

roberto9653 New Member

Thanks for the info, sounds good to me!!!!!!!!!!