Metal or Tin Roof?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by ozarkmomma, Mar 21, 2005.

1. ozarkmomma

ozarkmomma Well-Known Member

Just seeking advice on whether we should go with a metal or shingle roof. Our home currently has shingles. It has log siding, so a metal roof would look nice. Anyone know what is cheaper? Easier to install (we'll do it ourselves)? Faster? Thanks in advance!!

2. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    The metal roof will last longer and be more hail restiant and comes in many colors. Plus it is fire proof compared to shingles, and it installs faster if you are an experienced roofer. The negative part is that metal rooves have condensation, which has to be dealt with via ventiliation. As far as costs goes that different in all parts of the country, just do the research in your area.

3. spunkey22

spunkey22 Member

I'm in the same boat. I have priced both Shingles are cheaper but one guy said he would take the old ones off and dispose of them and put new ones on for 1,000$ and I buy the shingles. Well, another said he would put metal roof on for 500$ and I buy the metal. I think it will come out to about the same. I would rather have the metal. Oh yes' He said the uncolored was the cheapest. What about regular tin? I wish I could do it myself, I am really thinking about it...

4. Helena

Helena Well-Known Member

I believe we a have "regualr" tin on older parts of our barn and that will rust. This is different than I'm sure the new metal roofs of today. When we did our roof over a few years back will stayed with shingles ONLY because 2 years previously we had repaired and re-roofed one part of the house and we matched the shingles at that time. We'd love to have a metal roof. We plan to put a metal roof on our deck this summer and I will go with a metal ..even going to price a copper one !! Had some copper rain spouting put on the house a few years back and the cost was not that much greater than regular. Of course I will probably be long gone to the big Homestead in the sky before I can see all this copper turn green. Looks nice and shinny for a while and then goes a dull sort of brown. But I think it is neat. No indoor plumbing but a copper roof I might have !! (LOL) You could also think about the wooden shingles..but metal is safer with a wood stove. Good Luck in your choice !!

5. mellba

mellba Well-Known Member Supporter

spunkey22, $500 and you buy the metal sounds like a great price. I paid $800 and bought the materials to have a single wide done a couple of years ago.

6. freeinalaska

freeinalaska Well-Known Member

Up here it worked out to about the same for shingle or metal. The metal was higher material cost with less labour and the shingle the opposite. As long as you have proper ventalation the a metal roof should last longer, be more fire resistant and for us the snow slides off periodically.

Our first winter here was spent with blue tarps covering the roof...what a challenge with 6 feet of snow and 50 below weather. When it came time to decide on the colour for the roof metal we couldn't resist buying blue tarp blue.

7. mtman

mtman Well-Known Member

if you only have one layer of shingles on the roof put the metal over that you wont have to worry about moisture and it wont be to heavy

8. MikeJoel

MikeJoel Well-Known Member

Same situation here. Got to replay about 1400 square feet of leaking roof (14 squares).

From what I see metal roofing is about two times as much for the cost of material. I plan to do the job myself. It isn't hard (thought wise I mean) it is a very dirty and sweaty job though.

Usually you are allowed to cover 2 layers of shingles before you must remove them and start over, BUT if you cover old shingles you have to make sure they are all secure. You can't (or shouldn't) put new shingles over shingles that are about to fall off.

If you are removing the shingles and replacing with shingles you will also need to put roofing felt down. I have done a rough estimate on materials and come out to about $1500 for materials.

As a note, if you do the job yourself you will find scaffolding (which is a lot safer for working near the edge of the roof) runs about $60/day for a 20' tall 5'x5' section. I figured that I could build one from lumber at lowes for about the cost of 2 days rental. I get to keep it too :)

I would love to put a good metal roof up since it would be a ton faster but from what I see I can't afford it.

Usually they tell you to estimate $50 to $100 a square (100 square feet) for shingles and $100 or more per square (100 square feet) for metal.

Not a professional roofer but that is some of my research.

Mike

9. Neville Aponte

Neville Aponte Active Member

I just priced one at lowes- a medium grade painted metal roof- it ran about $155 a square with the trim and stuff. Shingles are about 1/3 that. Much as I would like the metal I cant afford it.

10. ozarkmomma

ozarkmomma Well-Known Member

Thanks everyone. It's great to be able to get suggestions from everyone. It really helps out to get different opinions and viewpoints. I think we are leaning toward green metal, although I have seen the silver color that looks like tin which is kinda neat looking.