metal grain storage bin.

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by eweknowit2, Nov 10, 2004.

1. eweknowit2

eweknowit2 New Member

My neighbor, a farmer, has a round metal storage bin that is older and was used to store bulk grain. It is intact with no holes or bent up areas and a working door. The floor may be rusted through in some spots but I do not believe totally. He does not use it because it is old enough that it does have have the blowers on it and is not as convenient to use as the newer bigger ones as far as removing the grain.

Is it worth getting or just junk? and I was curious as to what people might consider possible uses for this item.

I can have it for free and he will help me move it to my place or else he is going to move it with the tractor and crush it. Any ideas or input would be appreciated.

Thanks!

2. Leah IL

Leah IL momto6

I have one that we plan on using as a chicken house. I just posted about it yesterday in the poultry forum with a picture. We're going to cut windows into the side and maybe install some sort of a fan up top.

3. superduperchickenman

superduperchickenman Well-Known Member

4. Windy in Kansas

Windy in Kansas In Remembrance

They make pretty good storage sheds. Depending upon the brand and door style, mice and snakes can get into some pretty easily. Always be ready for either in the doorway as you open the door. Also many will leak a little water even though they way they are put together they shouldn't.

As far as using one for a chicken house, my personal opinion is that you would be amiss to do so. I think the ammonia coming from the manure would quickly cause oxidation even though galvanized. Perhaps if you keep the interior and exterior painted well it would work. Just my opinion.

They aren't at all difficult to move, especially if a person has access to a "Donohue" trailer that lets down flat to the ground. Often the bins are placed on a bed of sand so moisture can drain away. To repair a floor some cement is often poured in to make a new floor and to anchor the bin since they can blow around if not anchored.

I also think they have great potential as a small cabin. The top opening would lend itself very well as a flue. Spray on insulation could be used as water and sound proofing. A person could also just build a false wall inside to hold the insulation and paneling or sheetrock. A center support placed floor to ceiling could support rafters to which a ceiling could be placed, with the above area providing a great area for heavy insulation. Yup, I'd sure like to have one to live in--at least on a part-time basis.

5. FolioMark

FolioMark In Remembrance

illinois but i have a homestead building in missou
    It would make a dandy room added to a house with a few windows installed. A nice little tower den for the man of the house. Insulate and fir out the inside and panel with 1/4inch luan it could look really sharp.

WHOOPS I should have read all of the post above. Great minds think alike

6. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

The way these bins are assembled is they are assembled top first and raised on a jack system. You could use this jack system to raise it up enough to put skids under or a trailer. Is width a problem I'd hate to disassemble it. The galvanizing will be the best there is but may be pretty much gone by now but still it would take years to totally rust out. You could always unbolt the worst and either replace the rusted panel or lower the whole thing down one ring when and if it ever does. I'd grab it in a second. If you do have to dismantle it check out some of the portable run in selters that are using bin panels and an angle iron frame to make half quansets!

7. eweknowit2

eweknowit2 New Member

After all the input received I believe that we will get the bin. I just didn't want to make a mistake that would be very large and hard to dispose of if there were no practical uses for it.

Thanks for your help.