Metal end post diameter. High Tensile Fence.

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by SouthernThunder, Dec 8, 2004.

1. SouthernThunder

SouthernThunder Well-Known Member

I will be starting my fence next weekend and I was wondering what size steel pipe I should use for the end posts. I will be filling them with conrete and running them 4 feet in the ground /w conrcrete and it will be 5 foot high. Fence is high tensile 5 strand. What diameter pipe should I get? I don't wanna use wood either.

2. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

pipe wall thickness needs to enter into the discussion. Are you going to use schedule 40 pipe?

3. SouthernThunder

Well I have a whole lot of 2" schedule 40 but I figuerd that would be too small a diameter. Would filling them with concrete compensate for a thin wall as I believe this would be slightly cheaper...

4. agmantoo

adequately braced the schedule 40 in 2 inch diameter is adequate with the concreted holes. You will want to keep the horizontal braces around 8+ feet long.

5. SouthernThunder

Thats all I needed to know. :D Thanks again agmantoo.

6. agmantoo

Southern, you do know that in a typical corner where normally you would have a 90 degree design that on the metal posts with the high tensile wire you need to have the inside angle at about 100 to 110 degrees so that the wire fastened to the corner post will not short to the brace posts?

7. SouthernThunder

Guess I won't be running it right down the property line then. :D

What I want to do is tie it off at the corner posts instead of going around it on the outside. Should I also lean the end post away from the direction of pull since it will have quite a bit of tension on it? My brace is gonna be fully welded steel.

Gonna put the end posts in tomorrow and string my cable next week so I'll probably have a couple of cable questions later on. Thanks for all the help. Nobody around here even knows what high tensile is. :(

8. fordy

fordy Well-Known Member

..............They'll findout , though ...when Cousin Elmer , decides to take a Pee on that bottom "War" , and his business lights up :p like the 4th. of July , fordy.. :)

9. SouthernThunder

hahaha ya know, I saw that happen to one of my cousins when we were all little.. I'm glad it was him and not me! His grandma was the only one smart enough to break the stream with a broom stick. Here it is many years later and as I type this I still can't contain myself. :haha: