metal detector to find metal in logs

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Paul Wheaton, Apr 5, 2005.

1. Paul Wheaton

Paul Wheaton Well-Known Member

I thought I would pick up a metal detector to find metal in logs/trees before sawing. I was even thinking that a little hand held stud finder might do the trick.

Now I'm kinda thinking that this might be far more complicated than I first thought. It seems like there is no way to measure how powerful these things are. A studfinder can be good at finding nails in studs if you already know where the nail is! But to scan a tree could take a loooong time because you aren't sure if there is a nail in there or not.

A more powerful detector might work faster - but how do you tell which ones are more powerful?

2. caballoviejo

caballoviejo Well-Known Member

I field experimented with two top-of-the-line metal detectors a week ago and an older one in the same field a year ago.

The older detector signaled for everything all of the time. It even detected metal when raised towared a cloud.

The newest one supposedly can find a dime at 36" deep. But I would'nt want to dig that deep in clay for a dime. The wand (circle) at the end was quiet large. Very light and easy to use. I found iron at about a foot and a half deep. In fact the field is full of bits of iron. The machine was adjustible to that differnt metals (usually iron) could be masked out.

I'm sure this would work for logs.

3. BackwoodsIdaho

BackwoodsIdaho Well-Known Member

Look at Bailey's Woodsman products, they have a detector in their catalog just for this type of application

4. Chas in Me

Chas in Me Well-Known Member

Check with the company that made your sawmill for this. If it is homemade, check with any sawmill manufacturer.

5. Paul Wheaton

caballoviejo,

Any recommendation for brand?

BackwoodsIdaho,

Checked Bailey's - couldn't find anything. Got a link?

6. caballoviejo

Paul,

These were a friend's. I'll call and find out the brands.

7. Paul Wheaton

Well, if not brands, any ideas on how I can tell the difference between "good contraption with a good price" and "useless contraption with a high price" ???

8. gspig

gspig Well-Known Member

Saw Norm Abraham do a project with recycled boards. He used a security wand to search for nails. He was planing the boards flat and would ruin his planer if it hit a nail or screw. Look in security product catalogs for a search wand.

9. shadowwalker

shadowwalker Well-Known Member

Keep a watch out for Ceramic stakes in the wood, matal detectors can't find these. A buddy up in Montana,told me this was done in the eighties. By the tree huggers. Dulls a saw real fast, and fractures into the wood. shadowwalker

10. Paul Wheaton

I did a bunch of research on the wand style used for security - sounds like just the ticket!

The one I ordered claimed to detect a razor blade at 4 inches!

11. caballoviejo

Well Paul, I suspect the the security wand will be cheaper than metal detectors. Here's the info. I got.

1. Minelab Explorer wtih 10" coil (the detector part that I called a wand) - friend paid $1300.00

2. Fisher CZ-5 "Quicksilver" - $700.00

3. But her recommend for general use a Garrett - $300.00. Lack some bells and whistles that would be of little use to you. Made by Kelly Co. out of Florida. On the internet.

P.S. - concerning Norm's security wand. The staples and barbed wire that I've run into getting logs saw was much deeper in the log than 4". I was charged $10.00 by the mill each time thay ran into wire and had to sharpen their blade. For me, that would still be far more economical than buying a metal detector. I think I paid $70.00 for blade sharpening. By the way, the sawn metal bit look kind of attractive in the wood. :)

12. Paul Wheaton

The wand thing was about $60 - free shipping.

Most of my logs are around 12 inches in diameter.