Mentor wanted in NC

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by TwoAcresAndAGoat, Nov 13, 2004.

1. TwoAcresAndAGoat

TwoAcresAndAGoat Well-Known Member

If there is anyone in North West or Central - North Carolina that wouldn't mind teaching I would enjoy learning some homesteading lessons.

I already know how to milk a goat, make cheese and soap. I have successfully raised goats, chickens, ducks and horses. I have help package meat but I do have difficulty with the actually dispatching of animals (I have done it but not always as clean of a job as I would like to be able to do. And quite frankly I don't like it at all and would rather not have to do that job if I could avoid it)

I am not the best gardener and tend to let the weed grow with the vegitables but can usually get enough to can every year that I do plant a garden.

I could use help with more maintance things like plumbing and wood stove instillation and maintaince. Even if I never have to do any of the actual work It is helpful to know how it should be done.

It might also be nice if when people are scheduling their own homesteading projects, canning, butchering, candle making etc that they post and invite others to join in. Kind of like a barn raising where many hands make it a get-to-geather and not a job.

2. BlueRidgeBabe

BlueRidgeBabe Active Member

"It might also be nice if when people are scheduling their own homesteading projects, canning, butchering, candle making etc that they post and invite others to join in. Kind of like a barn raising where many hands make it a get-to-geather and not a job. "

Hi Two Acres,
    I have less experience than you, so you won't want lessons from me, LOL, but I have thought the same, get-togethers like that would be fun and helpful. Where exactly are you? PM me if you prefer.
    Blue

3. marvella

marvella Well-Known Member

aha!! two more people in the southeast!! yesssss!!! i am interested in get togethers as well. they are a good opportunity to get out in the woods and practice skills. just camping is a good way to learn. there are a couple of others, so keep your eyes peeled.:) this is how the picnics in AR got started. i went to one last fall, and met some great people. got my first try at baking in a dutch oven, (with help, thanks marlene s wherever you are!!!) one woman demonstrated rabbit butchering. (which needs to be kind of discreet, so other campers don't think there is some kind of ritual killing going on, LOL!!) corky brought a spinning wheel, grams made soap, mike brought homemade bread and home raised burgers... i know i am forgtting stuff, but a good time was had by all. :) :) :)

4. appjuli

appjuli Member

And we've done most of it at one time or another - built our house, barn, shop; raised animals for meat, milk, eggs; worked in living history...

Our time is very limited, though. There are places around here to learn some specific skills, like Hickory Ridge Homestead in Boone. I'd be open to exploring the picnic idea!

5. Balancedmom2003

Balancedmom2003 Well-Known Member

Definately count me in!! I live in the central area of NC and I would love to have a fellow homesteading get together!! Lets make plans!

Michele

6. AuntKitty

AuntKitty Well-Known Member

I'm in Black Mountain (east of Asheville) and would be interested in getting together to learn or just socialize! Would look forward to meeting all of you.

7. second_noah

second_noah Local Yokel

I am outside of Statesville, Northwest of Charlotte and would be interested in having a 'get together' as well. If for nothing more than to socialize with like minds! :)

~Christina

8. marvella

OMG!! you all are neighbors!!! i had no idea!!! i am in central east tn, very near the NC line.

cool!!

let's get together!!!!

spring?? where?? there are tons of forests and parks in the appalachians!!! i'm near cherokee national forest, which turns into pisgah national forest in NC.

9. BlueRidgeBabe

BlueRidgeBabe Active Member

Wow, what a great response! I'm so glad I found this thread (thanks, Two Acres and a Goat!) and I'm very happy we have all found each other! This is great! Maybe we should make a little map showing marks where we all are?

My DH and I just bought a house and land in Madison County, just north of Asheville. We're so blissfully happy about it!

Hey AuntKitty, one of our best friends lives in Black Mountain, and my DH plays at the Watershed every couple months with his band buddies. My stepson lives in Swannanoa. We should meet up sometime, maybe at the Dripolator?

Appjuli, are you near Madison County? Or more like Boone area?? We looked around Valle Crucis (sp?) when we first came to NC, and loved it.

Marvella, the camping/picnic sounds like so much fun. I'm all for it! Hi also to Christina and Michele. Can't wait to meet all of you!

~Blue
    (aka Stacey)

10. AuntKitty

Hey Stacey:

I would love to get together at the Dripolator. My neighbor also occasionally plays at the Watershed in a band called SNAFU. You and I may even have crossed paths at some time or other. I have good friends in Madison County and have been considering moving there myself as where I am now is a little too town for me.

Hope we can all get together soon. Spring sounds great. What about the Cataloochee Campground in GSMNP?

Kitty.

11. marvella

cataloochee would be great!!!! my friend had her wedding reception there, after getting married in the little country church. lots of my neighbors have ties to that land, got moved out to make the park. man, from there, i could even run home to feed!!!

12. marvella

13. AuntKitty

Yes, Marvella that is where I was talking about. They actually have a group camping area there in the national park that would be great for what we are talking about. There are many places we could go to for "field trips" too, i.e. a sheep farm, organic produce farm, etc. near there.

Two Acres - where are you? Let us know where you are and what you think about getting together!