Meningeal worms help please

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Elaine J, Oct 25, 2005.

1. Elaine J

Elaine J New Member

HI I posted yesterday ,Latte` 6 month old nubian/boar neutered ,weighs around 60 lbs. Around October 1st started to go lame on right rear leg, proceeded to drag leg. Took to vet, had x rays taken, went home with bute and lasix.Vet thought, maybe was an injury. 5 days later started going lame,then dragging left leg. Contacted Goat 911,was told about men worm from breeder, She told me to give 2cc ivomec orally, for 3 days, then give safegaurd 4cc for 4 days. Latte started using left leg, then a few days ago slightly using right leg. Tonight, I am very upset,seems to be getting worse again. Hardly using right leg . I e-mailed to a vet at Cornell this morning,but she is out of my range for a farm call, she said that the safegaurd dose was too small, but without being able to see him, could not advise me. My vet said ,he has never seen it in a goat. With the way my luck goes, if there is a remote chance,it will happen to me.I don't want to lose this guy, he was so active and fun loving, now just dragging himself around, wondering why he can't jump and play anymore. HEELLLPPP!!!!!!

2. susanne

susanne Nubian dairy goat breeder

go to goat 911 for help

3. lgslgs

lgslgs Well-Known Member

For Elaine J, just in case you didn't see it in the other thread:

This is what deerworm can look like: http://www.sheepandgoat.com/articles/deerworm.html The link is about halfway down the page and will take a long time to load if you are on dial up. It is worth waiting.

Our neighbor had a boer cross that had the full blown "John Wayne walk" just like this video. Ours were much more subtle - we actually thought our vet might have been misdiagnosing until we realized that she was just really good at recognizing the disease early. Opal never did the stiff legged walk, she just suddenly started having problems getting up and down. Then she started falling freqently and couldn't get up without help. Buddy only stiff walked when pooping, but dropped weight, went dry and patchy in the coat, and started getting quite roach backed.

I think your vet needs to be the one prescribing treatment, and would not go on advice from an online forum. Sure, share that info with your vet but as long as you are working with a decent vet, trust their judgement - especially if they are willing to contact the local agencies that are studying the disease.

Listed below is info on the Ohio Department of Agriculture department that my vet contacts for deerworm treatment guidance. I believe they generally work mainly with veterinarians, so it may be best to pass this on to your veterinarian. While Ohio State University also is studying the disease and has published treatment recomendation, my vet prefers to work closely with the Ohio Department of Agriculture and I trust her judgement. ODA are the same agency that we brought Opal to for live exam, euthanasia, and necroscopy. We we super impressed with the veterinary pathologist. She spent more than a half hour gathering info on our herd history, feed, housing conditions, etc. While we hated losing Opal to deerworm, we are confident that bringing her to the ODA vet pathologist helped add to their knowledge of the disease.

Please pass this contact info on to your vet:

Ohio Department of Agriculture
    Division of Animal Industry
    8995 East Main Street
    Reynoldsburg, OH 43068-3399

Phone: (614) 728-6220
    E-Mail: animal@mail.agri.state.oh.us

Animal Disease Ohio Hotline
    (800) 300-9755
    Outside Ohio: (614) 728-6220

Our vet prescribed an antibiotic with the Dexomethazone, but she saw our animals in person and could make judgment calls about how aggressive she could be in treating Buddy. If you've got a vet you can trust, get them talking with Ohio Department of Agriculture, have them ask ODA if they know of resources in NY that your vet can tap into as well, and be very careful about introducing any meds that your vet doesn't specifically bless. He knows your animals better than someone on the internet does!

Hope your goat keeps improving.

Our Buddy looks better. The collar rub lesion is healing fast with the topical med from our vet, and the stiff leg is looking more like it may have been a sports injury than deerworm back again. Buddy was standing up bringing down sapplings yesterday for the first time since he started favoring his leg. We still have him under watch, but it is getting less likely that he will need the deerworm treatment sequence at this time.

Lynda