Mending a rubber bucket?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by prairie, Jan 18, 2007.

1. prairie

prairie Homesteader

There's a hole in the bucket, dear Liza. :D The bottom flexes, bows, when it freezes but I guess it was stretched beyond it's tolerances because it tore and won't hold water anymore. Anyone know how to mend it?
    This is the type of bucket I am talking about: [​IMG]
    I've thought about silicone but it wouldn't stretch when it freezes and bows.

2. TwoAcresAndAGoat

TwoAcresAndAGoat Well-Known Member

3. js2743

js2743 Well-Known Member

what about using tar it should work.

4. Highground

Highground Well-Known Member

5. liveswithinlogs

liveswithinlogs Member

I second the motion for using a tire patch. A well done patch job should last quite awhile I would reckon.

6. tamsam

tamsam Well-Known Member

Find a roofer and ask him to patch it with a piece of rubber roof material. He should have the glue and all. Good luck. Sam

7. Ole Man Legrand

Ole Man Legrand Well-Known Member

I have plastic buckets that have cracked in the bottom. I hope to find a repair for them.

8. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

Put a plywood circle as big as the bottom on the outside with silicone caulk on both sides of the crack. Put screws through the rubber bottom into the plywood.

9. HermitJohn

HermitJohn Well-Known Member

****-goo! And if that doesnt hold make two metal disks bigger diameter than lenth of rip or size of hole in bucket. Drill several matching holes around edges and through bucket to insert stove bolts later. Now smear one side of one disk with pure silicone caulking, put disk under bucket lining up holes, fill crack or hole in bucket with silicone, smear other disk with silicone, line up holes, bolt sandwich together with small stove bolts. Let it cure. Grind off smooth any of stove bolt protruding beyond nut. Should be water proof. I suggest using 1/8 to 3/16 thickness steel for disks. Thinner may work, though I would use more bolts. Thicker definitely work but add lot of weight not that these rubber buckets are exactly light weight to begin with. The bigger the hole the thicker the metal you should use.

As to suggestion of rubber patch think regular tire patch would be too thin, have to use a big tire boot glued into place. Tire boot is pricey unless this is very small hole. Course these buckets are pricey too if I remember correctly so maybe worth it. If trying to glue in a boot, make sure area around hole is sufficiently roughed up. I use wire brush in angle grinder anymore when I put patch on tubeless tire. Works well.

10. HermitJohn

HermitJohn Well-Known Member

Plastic is nasty stuff. I have in past used low power soldering iron to mend plastic automotive battery cases with success. Takes patience and you need some of same type plastic salvaged from simular item to melt into the repair area.

Have to say in my experience by the time plastic cracks, it usually old, sun damaged, etc so repair isnt really worth the effort.

My suggestion of the metal disks and silicone might work for your buckets too, but again is a plastic bucket even worth the effort.

11. greenmcdonalds

greenmcdonalds Well-Known Member

I find that aquariumn (sp?) seal works wonders. Mine has lasted 3 yrs. now. Even in 0 temps. to 90 degrees outside. Non toxic for fish , so it should be all right for any animals. Sue

12. bill not in oh

bill not in oh Well-Known Member

With a straw, dear Henry....

13. Pony

Pony STILL not Alice Supporter

I'm thinking tire patch is a good idea, but I'd make double sure by coating the bottom with Plasti-Dip.

I love that stuff, and look for every excuse to play with it. ;)

Pony!

14. hunter63

hunter63 Well-Known Member

Just use it for something that won't leak out, then go do some thing else.(joke)

15. PyroDon

PyroDon Well-Known Member

I doubt you'll get silicone to stick well . You dont want tar as it will leach oils into the water .
    If the fibers are still intact and holding the bottom well in place you coul;d give it a bit of snding to rough up the surface then us a high quality polyurathane adhesive caulking . if the entire bottom is leaking you could use self leveling polyurathane . I have yet to find anything that remains as flexible and holds as strong .

16. RipVanArkie

RipVanArkie The Rusty Ewe

These buckets are made of urethane rubber, nothing sticks to it better than... urethane. Any windshield shop or automotive paint store will have it in a caulking tube for about $7.00 use all of it as it will set up in the tube iver a few days. Fill the crack/hole then smear it all over the bottom inside and out, you will have a new bucket. This will work with the plastic buckets as well, next time it cracks it will not be where you applied the urethane. Remember, this holds the windshield in your car! It will stick to anything but sticks to itself the best.

17. bill not in oh

bill not in oh Well-Known Member

Or for 7.50 go to TSC and get a new bucket... (9.50 if it's a 3 gallon one)

18. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

PRARIE___ What did you do with that leaky bucket? Did you blast a patch on it, or did you wait till the bottom froze shut, and go ahead and use it??????

19. Wolf mom

Wolf mom Well-Known Member

Have to agree with greenMcdonalds. Aquarium sealer works great! I've even used it on split plumbing pipes.

I've stopped buying plastic stuff due to the splitting, etc & have decided its throwing good money after bad when it can't be repaired easily.

I am really suprised about the bucket though. I thought tht rubbery stuff was pretty strong.

Good Luck!

20. KCM

KCM Well-Known Member

Just put a plastic grocery bag into the bucket. When the bag wears out simply replace it.