Men. worms (deerworm) expereince anyone?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Key, Apr 5, 2005.

1. Key

Key Well-Known Member

I have a goat who is itching up a storm & shedding terrbily from all that rubbing, and wasting away while eating fine. Now her front legs are limp to the point she crawls to the feed bucket. Her appetite for water and food fine. Vet and I are "stuck" ....anyone have deerworm experience? From what I read, it causes hind-end problems......any advice helpful. So sad to see this doe sick-

2. windyhollowfarm

windyhollowfarm Well-Known Member

What have you done for this doe meds wise? I would give her Ivomec injections *not oral* at a higher dose than normal. Normally I dose at 1ml per 50 lbs. I would give her 1ml at 35 lbs or so. I would give her at least 2 doses at this spaced apart.

Also, an anti-inflammatory since the inflammation also contributes greatly to the symptoms and destruction.

Also, I have heard of using Dexamethazone and Banamine for 6 days both 1cc IM for 3 days and then 1/2cc IM for 3 more days.

Also, some vitamin B and probios during this treatment.

3. MoBarger

MoBarger Goat's Milk soap for sale

Knees and wasting make me think CAE, not meningeal worm.

4. Key

Key Well-Known Member

So far, the vet had us try pencillin a few weeks ago (even though she had mild symptoms and no fever), an oral wormer (forget name) and we just applied a lice/external parasite pray last night out of deperation. Oh, the other thing, is that she shakes sometimes. I thought maybe lice would casue that?!? And I know lice can cause itching/rubbing, but they don't cause a goat to go lame! She can't be cold...it is warm.
    Big thanks to all repilies beacuse this is very helpful.

5. mpillow

mpillow Well-Known Member Supporter

I would treat for anemia if she is shaking.....Red cell, iron and b-vitamin plus probiotics. As well as for cocci...the Dexa stuff previously mentioned....not sure pennicillian will do much except further reduce her immunity IMHO

6. Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians

Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians Well-Known Member

Do a search of this site for menengial worm/protozoal mialilits....my doe Amber had this several years back when I was on this site, I told the story while it was happening.

Your symptoms are not consistant with it though. Once the protozoa migrates the blood brain barrier, yes they have itching, but it's more like self mutilation from scraping with their teeth and rubbing, and it looks like cigarette burns, not shedding, it's actually the migration of the protozoa....also whereever the protozoa sets up house keeping in the spine is where they go weak from that point backwards (weekness to paralysis), not the front legs.

I think you may have a couple of things going on, perhaps lice, mites or something like this that causes shedding and scratching, and from the lice you now have anemia, so the doe is down from weakness.

Scrapie or other more exotic problems are of course a reality if you have brought in new goats or sheep to your property or if she herself is new. Vicki