Homesteading Forum banner

41 - 48 of 48 Posts

·
Super Moderator
16,569 Posts
Newfiannie, I was going to be a farmer but life happened and I got a chronic illness. So instead I turned my back yard into a mini farm and we eat like kings.

Now that I have my raised beds set up I might raise extra for the food pantry: in the past I have given then some veggies when my garden had a bumper crop in something that could not be stored (Like 20 ice box watermelons or 80 big cucumbers at one picking) and they were always glad to have the produce.

I am a big fan of plan B. And I am glad that you can still keep your hand in doing what you love

·
Super Moderator
16,569 Posts
Macrocarpus, and some men prefer to marry an equal. Because the heart desires what the heart desires.

·
Premium Member
24,253 Posts
The world was a whole lot different before WWII. So much has changed since the 40's. Families of that era were completely different than they are now. Even in the 60's women were expected to be the heart of a family.

I know the problems my mom had, a single mother trying to scrape by in a male dominated world. Back then there was no such thing as sexual harassment. No cries of "equal pay for equal work".

So forgive a man in a different time for supporting his daughters and teaching them to be self reliant in a time when a woman's place was in the home, barefoot and pregnant.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Terri; did you ever stop to think that men don't want equals? They want someone smarter, prettier, more daring and better than they themselves. Men want superior children, and marrying UP is the only way to get them. Equals my foot---every man with a happy marriage will tell you that his wife is his boss that he yields to her every wish IF POSSIBLE but that it is his job to see that the family is safe from want and strife. Sometimesd, just sometimes, a man must say no and make it stick.

·
Super Moderator
16,569 Posts
Macrocarpus, every man wants what they want, just as every woman wants what she wants. This is a very good thing, because if all women wanted the same thing then 99% of the male population would be single.

That being said, I am 65 years old. I am well aware that your generation was taught that women were physically fragile and that their husbands were responsible for making certain that they did not injure themselves. I know this because I grew up hearing the subject being hotly debated.

I recall when it was hotly debated whether or not us girls would be allowed to play softball, or work, etc.

That was the culture of the time

·
Super Moderator
16,569 Posts
Oh, yes.

Young women of my generation were taught how to run a home, and we were taught both in school and at home. Knowing how to run a household is a skill like any other

Modern teenaged women are taught instead how to run computers as well as subjects that will help them earn a living. That means that most of them are not ready to marry when they are 20 because they have not yet had the time to learn child development, basic psychology, etc

Women of today mostly seem to learn these things in their 20's and be ready to marry at their mid to late 20's. I married at 20 and they marry at 26

I do not see that it matters much at what age women decide to marry. In the end the young people will decided for themselves

·
Registered
155 Posts
Amen to that, Terri, and they will find that what the old folks taught in the ancient past is true today as it was then.

41 - 48 of 48 Posts