Homesteading Forum banner

21 - 40 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Women can do almost anything a man can do, but no man can bear a child. The society that decides it would prefer its women to be carpenters, steel workers or plumbers has decided it wants to die. To hell with that---the world will belong to the descendants of the man who takes a woman, protects and provides for her and her children. Look around the country and see which populations are growing.

·
Registered
3,280 Posts
Women can do almost anything a man can do, but no man can bear a child. The society that decides it would prefer its women to be carpenters, steel workers or plumbers has decided it wants to die. To hell with that---the world will belong to the descendants of the man who takes a woman, protects and provides for her and her children. Look around the country and see which populations are growing.
I've seen women welders, painters, electricians and pilots. Let alone doctors . Women today want to be equal!!! So I call cow stuff . On here there is a woman who has seen some of the things you wouldn't care for. Ask around...

·
Premium Member
24,253 Posts
Women were kept out of the traditional male trades when I was much younger. Shop class in high school was male ONLY. The AG, mechanics and welding classes were all male except for one girl who put up with a lot of bs from the guys in the class, the first year. By the middle of the second year they had learned a bit of respect for her.

Back when I was an automotive parts fetcher there were no women working in auto parts stores. That job is no more dangerous than being a clerk at any small store.

Remember the old Ace Hardware jingle? "Ace is the place with your helpful hardware man". Ace Hardware here still hires very few women.

---the world will belong to the descendants of the man who takes a woman, protects and provides for her and her children. Look around the country and see which populations are growing.
Men who want to and do provide for a woman and their children are a vanishing breed. And when the children are grown and out of the house many women are left with time on their hands and a need to do something.

·
Super Moderator
16,569 Posts
Folks, it takes 20-odd years to have and to raise a child. And the average woman lives to be around 86 years old.

There is time to do both

·
Registered
155 Posts
Terri: Children are for young women---the woman who waits until she is 35 or so to have her child is likely to be disappointed, have one or none, then will be an old woman when and if her grands appear----

When any individual starts to learn a trade, that person will spend at least four years becoming proficient---an expert if he or she is ever going to be good. Start children at 20, have , oh, say four, and the woman is thirty. To get that last one out of the house she will be between forty and fifty years old, and the first one will be thinking of having children and a family----

So, lets say she decides to be an ironworker---at 45? Follow any construction trade? It can and is being done, but it is far from natures ideal. That is why teaching and some other few jobs draw so many women.

Civilizations rise and fall. The descent starts when women abandon the home and become "loose" in youth and useless to nature. . .

·
Super Moderator
16,569 Posts
Most women marry around 26, and have been already trained for something. Then they have kids and might continue working while tapping their husbands to help with the housework.

It is hard work, especially as often the husband does NOT help with the housework, but It is how things are done today,

I have never regretted working, as it was what I chose to do. And, yes, I raised kids as well.

As an American woman I have a slightly different, but similar complaint. Women who stay home to care for children are called "lazy", and women who continue to work are called "selfish". An honest American woman just can't win!

·
newfieannie
9,307 Posts
i wish i had gone to university like my 3 brothers but all we girls heard from our father all the way through was girls don't need higher education they will only marry anyway! my youngest sister did become a nurse. maybe he had changed his mind by that time. she's 10 years younger than me.

i was the oldest girl (except the one before me who had died) mom kept me in the kitchen half the time. the other half dad had me working outside with him. they didn't seem to want me to be anywhere but with them. i might have done something worth while if given the chance. ~Georgia

·
Registered
711 Posts
Terri: Children are for young women---the woman who waits until she is 35 or so to have her child is likely to be disappointed, have one or none, then will be an old woman when and if her grands appear----

When any individual starts to learn a trade, that person will spend at least four years becoming proficient---an expert if he or she is ever going to be good. Start children at 20, have , oh, say four, and the woman is thirty. To get that last one out of the house she will be between forty and fifty years old, and the first one will be thinking of having children and a family----

So, lets say she decides to be an ironworker---at 45? Follow any construction trade? It can and is being done, but it is far from natures ideal. That is why teaching and some other few jobs draw so many women.

Civilizations rise and fall. The descent starts when women abandon the home and become "loose" in youth and useless to nature. . .
Cool idea, but have you actually been around 20 year old women in our current society? Many of them have no sense of what the real world is, not much sense of responsibility, and have so little maturity it's frightening. They have been coddled their entire lives and frankly, I think a typical 20 year old girl that I see around here having children would be a disaster waiting to happen. There are exceptions of course but waiting until they are older to have kids is probably a good idea given today's societal norms.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Lades--I educated my daughters simply because I am a realist. Men die, men get killed at work and in war, and men run off with other women---sometimes women must work or starve. However, and this is a big HOWEVER, the ideal is a good, faithful couple, the woman raising her family with the support, the protection and the HELP of her husband. My late wife was a trained medical professional, ASCP, She worked before we met, she worked after the children were well along in school and after they graduated from college. Had we more children she would never have gone back to work. My mother was a telephone operator as a girl. After she and my father married she worked harder than ever, raising eight children and pushing them thru college. I owe them.

·
Premium Member
3,229 Posts
Dang, this old thread really served to remind me of some of the interesting folks we used to have here.

·
Registered
3,392 Posts
Lades--I educated my daughters simply because I am a realist. Men die, men get killed at work and in war, and men run off with other women---sometimes women must work or starve. However, and this is a big HOWEVER, the ideal is a good, faithful couple, the woman raising her family with the support, the protection and the HELP of her husband. My late wife was a trained medical professional, ASCP, She worked before we met, she worked after the children were well along in school and after they graduated from college. Had we more children she would never have gone back to work. My mother was a telephone operator as a girl. After she and my father married she worked harder than ever, raising eight children and pushing them thru college. I owe them.
So, instead of educating your daughters because they were intelligent, capable women with gifts, talents and ideas to develop, you educated them just in case the men you wanted them to become dependent on didn't step up or died? How sad that you think so little of your own daughters.

The "ideal" is a woman having the freedom and opportunity to do whatever it is she wants to do, to develop her own talents and intellect and to make her own choices regardless if that is working within the home, outside of it or some combination of the two.

·
Registered
155 Posts
LOL, how antagonistic some people get when ideas contrary to their own show up. I educated my daughters so that they could do what women were born to do without fearing disaster if a man failed. The woman who thinks that she is master of her universe is either married rto a weak man or has none at all. Nature cannot be denied, but one can work WITH nature. Millions of couples are doing just that.

Like men, women are variable quantities. Some sough as nails, some tender, some smart, some not so smart. Some would be domineering if left to a weak man. Marriage is always a compromise, but the strong man had beter be prepared if he is courting a spoiled woman who tends to be the bossy type.

The comment eariler in the thread about today's 20-year-old women is close to the fact---Women today have been fed the "woke" version opf life and have never known hard times. The same may be said of young men at that age. They will have to work that out.

My own theory has always been to let them do anything they please, and help them do it, if it does not threaten the family or its financial security.. No house is a home without a good woman in it, so some allowances must be made. Ben Franklin, I belioeve, made much the same point when he said that before marriage a man musrt keep his eyes wide open, but after marriage he must keep them half shut.

·
Registered
155 Posts
By the way, Georgia, what makes you think you did not do anything worth while? Frome everything I've seen and read on here you were a prize and continue to be an exceptional woman Certainly your husbands never lacked for a good meal or a welcoming, well-kept home. Not many women I know would go back and care for an Ex at the end of life, so there must be soft spot somewhere.

·
newfieannie
9,307 Posts
i guess what i mean by worthwhile Chuck is i never ever earned any money.( maybe just for a week in my cousins store) can't remember if i got paid or not. i was happy in my first marriage i had a good husband who was a good provider and treated me so well. but it was a good thing i didn't have to earn a living when he passed.

what i really wanted before all that was to be a chef. i had an uncle and 2 aunts who were top chefs in England and they came over one year and tried to get dad to let me go back with them when i was around 17. didn't work though. he said i was fine where i was( i never ever let him know how much i wanted to go) the next year i married.

one good thing though i had the hobby farm to fall back on when my son went away to work with his father on the ship. i really enjoyed that and still do. and of course i still have my son that never married and needs baked goods etc. every friday.so i still keep a hand in with the baking. actually he just left with his car loaded down. ~Georgia

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Cool idea, but have you actually been around 20 year old women in our current society? Many of them have no sense of what the real world is, not much sense of responsibility, and have so little maturity it's frightening. They have been coddled their entire lives and frankly, I think a typical 20 year old girl that I see around here having children would be a disaster waiting to happen. There are exceptions of course but waiting until they are older to have kids is probably a good idea given today's societal norms.
I am not seeing to many 20 year old male or female that are any where close so what I would consider a adult.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Georgia---I'm not certain I could let a daughter leave home at 17 and go across the ocean, possibly never to return.

Did you have family in England during WWII?

·
Registered
3,392 Posts
LOL, how antagonistic some people get when ideas contrary to their own show up. I educated my daughters so that they could do what women were born to do without fearing disaster if a man failed. The woman who thinks that she is master of her universe is either married rto a weak man or has none at all. Nature cannot be denied, but one can work WITH nature. Millions of couples are doing just that.

Like men, women are variable quantities. Some sough as nails, some tender, some smart, some not so smart. Some would be domineering if left to a weak man. Marriage is always a compromise, but the strong man had beter be prepared if he is courting a spoiled woman who tends to be the bossy type.

The comment eariler in the thread about today's 20-year-old women is close to the fact---Women today have been fed the "woke" version opf life and have never known hard times. The same may be said of young men at that age. They will have to work that out.

My own theory has always been to let them do anything they please, and help them do it, if it does not threaten the family or its financial security.. No house is a home without a good woman in it, so some allowances must be made. Ben Franklin, I belioeve, made much the same point when he said that before marriage a man musrt keep his eyes wide open, but after marriage he must keep them half shut.
How sad that you taught your daughters that they needed to stay in that narrow space that you defined as their place and "what women were born to do". Hopefully they were able to eventually learn that a woman's place is wherever she wants it to be and that her role is however she chooses to define it.

So, you "let" them do what they please and you believe "some allowances must be made"? How very 1850s of you.

·
Registered
155 Posts
LOL, I'm doing fine, my daughters are doing fine, my wife is doing well and the family is expanding rapidly. I've held these opinions since puberrty, I'm 89 now, so I see no reason to be worred by some woke citizen's contrary opinions. Do what you think you should do and see how that works---isn't that what we all do? When a woman aspires to alpha status she generally is not worth bothering with, but some men like dominant women, reminds them of living with Mama.

21 - 40 of 48 Posts