Memories of pig summer

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by jackie c, Nov 22, 2004.

1. jackie c

jackie c Well-Known Member

I'm very much enjoying the pork meat of my labour this summer, but....
    I miss them! I'm already itching for new piglets next spring. They were so much fun and easy to raise. Even with the breakouts! I walk by their empty pen and sigh. I had a garden next to their pen and while I was weeding, they would make such noise, untill I threw them the weeds, I always had company while doing those mundane chores in that garden. They were always happy to see me and would come running up to the fence for a scratch behind the ears.
    I thought I might post a little of what I (newbie with pigs) have learned this past summer.
    Train your pigs every day with tasty treats, call them the same way every time to get their treats, they will come running! It helps so much when, and I say when, not if, they escape. :eek: Also, though I did (with help) slaughter them this year, they go to abbitoir next year. I will have a trailer incorporated into their fenced area. This will be the place they get their treats. When the time comes, loading will not be an issue. I have no trouble processing poultry, but when it comes to killing something with a brain and personality, I'm a wuss.
    Even though you've read all there is to read about raising pigs, they will still surprise you!
    Don't let them get hungry, if they have no food in their feeder, they will get a little crazy when you do feed them.(same goes for water)
    Get more than one, a lonely pig is a sad situation.
    Six was a god number for me, I'll do the same number next year.
    And last but very certainly not least, come to this board for help when you need it. :worship:

PS Don't, under any circumstances, watch the movie "Babe"

2. jeremyx

jeremyx Member

How many did you keep for your family and how many did you sell? Did you find that it worked out economically?

3. jackie c

I made about $50 per pig and my pig, after all costs were tallied. So I'm up $200 and a pig in my freezer. Not going to get rich, but every little bit helps. I just figured that I wanted a pig for my freezer and the additional ones weren't any harder to do than one alone.

4. RedneckPete

RedneckPete Well-Known Member

Jackie, lets have some more info on your pig story..

It sounds a lot like mine.

What did you feed, when did you get the piglets and how much did they weigh at butcher time?

Pete

5. jackie c

I got a good deal on cracked corn, and fed them garden stuff, as well as grass and clover. I got them at the beginning of May and slaughtered them at the beginning of November. They weighed between 210 to 225 lbs. They started to slow down in weight gain in October, due to cooler temps. I'll be having them slaughtered in October next year.

6. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

Hi Jackie,
    I know how you enjoyed them :) You sound like a prime candidate to breed your own. I bet you can find a manageable adult boar and with one sow you can have one litter a year and make a little money. Feed costs for me, make a profit a difficult proposition so I am working at it from another angle. I simply enjoy my pigs year round. There's also AI. Did you ever find a source for your area?

7. jackie c

Hi there Marcia,
    I decided against keeping the sow, for this year anyway. I'm just not set up right now for keeping animals over winter yet. I thought I might be able to rig something up, but ran out of time. It gets down right frigid here in winter and I don't want any animal to suffer through the cold. Hopefully next year! I would really like to raise some of my own. I tend to go into most new things with a couple of years of investigation first now, after a few times of jumping in without getting my feet wet first, bad idea! :no: I'm hoping to replace the old barn I have (almost falling to the ground) with a new scaled down version, next summer. I only got a nice new chicken coop, greenhouse, and small garage built this year, so with any luck at all I'll get the barn up next year. I'm sure the A1 will be easy enough to find, in fact its one more thing I have to work on over winter. Feed costs, yeah, there up there. I am going to try to raise enough on my own for winter feed, other wise, I agree the profit just isn't there.
    Jackie