Memorable threads or ideas learned here in 2006

Discussion in 'Countryside Families' started by Melissa, Dec 31, 2006.

1. Melissa

Melissa member

Any threads that really stick out? Any ideas that have changed your life in large or small ways? Anything memorable happen? How has this place affected your life?

2. menollyrj

menollyrj Joy Supporter

How has "this place" affected my life? Let me count the ways... First, I don't think I'm weird any more. I've discovered that ...

- weird is relative; we're all a little off the beaten path here, so we're normal to each other.
    - there is a name for what DH and I do - homesteading!
    - being called The Clampetts by my neighbors/in-laws is a complement (sans the millions of $$, of course).
    - I can do more with less, and we can live on my salary.
    - just because we don't have three TVs and cable in each room and the latest Xbox/WII/whatever, my children aren't deprived.
    - gardening is fun and frugal, and an abundance of horse manure is a good thing.
    - everything we eat doesn't have to come in a box, two freezers are better than one, and you can never have too many canning jars.
    - chickens crowing at 5 am is a beautiful sound, all chickens aren't white, crashyitis is VVVEERRYYY contagious, and that gutting chickens is not something you forget how to do, even if you were 12 the last time you gutted one.
    - a wether is a neutered male goat.
    - the internet is a great place to make friends.
    - I love to quilt, there's no such thing as too much fabric, and quilt swaps are addictive.
    - I can live without setting foot in Walmart...ever again...
    - no matter how much an idea gets poo-pooed, try it anyway. Just because "it's never been done that way here" doesn't mean it won't work.
    - washing Ziplocs and recycling aluminum foil doesn't mean I'm poor.
    - handwashing dishes is relaxing.
    - my DH is a wonderful man, understanding, financially responsible, and an all around good sport, willing to entertain many of my "crazy" homesteading ideas/experiments.
    - I should be thankful for what I have rather than yearn for what I don't.

I'm sure I can think of more, but that's what I've learned in my first year here... Hope to learn more next year!

-Joy

3. fitwind

fitwind Well-Known Member

This place is great I found it the same time I found my little farmette out in the country................... I knew this was the place fro meeeeeee. It has helped me fix up my little place ...... I Love this place and my homestead!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It is a great place to ask questions and even just a place to talk with people that have the same interests in life................." SOMEPLACE WHERE I BELONG "

4. Melissa

Melissa member

One nice thing that happened this year because of this forum was that I was able to meet Chuck, Connie, and family. I hope we can get together again sometime as it was much too short of a visit. I felt like we had known each other forever though.

5. wormlady

wormlady Well-Known Member Supporter

I always learn something from the tightwad tips. Even if the ideas are not something I would choose to do, the inspiration is very helpful.

Also the Daily Journal is an inspirational read....

6. Meg Z

Meg Z winding down

How has this place affected my life?

Wow, Melissa, what a question.

I wish I could answer it.

It's a family, is all. And family is good.

There's Mama over there, clucking over everyone...
    Daddy, guiding by example, and watching out of the corner of his eyes to see if you're paying attention...
    Sis, who never has two pennies to rub together, but is always offering to help others...
    Brother who'll not only tell you how to repair that tractor, he'd come help if you were close enough....
    Grandma in there teaching us how to sew, spin, cook and can, that the old arts not be forgotten....
    Grandpa, grumpy soul that he is, still loves us all, and you can tell....

And the daughters and sons, too, just starting out and learning, coming back to Mama, Daddy, Grandma and Grandpa for advice, assistance, and ideas, while Sis and Brother offer guiding hands.

And I'll bet that each person that reads that will have a screen name hovering in front of their eyes for a moment, for each person.

Meg

7. Cabin Fever

Cabin Fever Life NRA Member since 1976 Supporter

8. RandB

RandB Well-Known Member

I have found Sancraft's posts about her struggles, problems and successes in getting her new homestead going, interesting and inspirational. Thank you for sharing with us, the good and the bad. May 2007 be the year that all your hard work makes your dream become a reality!

9. blufford

blufford Well-Known Member Supporter

I wonder if hes still around?

10. Cindy in Nebraska

Cindy in Nebraska Well-Known Member

I followed Haggis and his stories. Excellent! I read the tightwad tips but not often enough. I had to get a job so don't have the time until now. My hours have been cut. So I will start reading more. Cindy

11. MWG

MWG Well-Known Member

Threads that stick out?

How about Kenneth in NC?

That was a wild ride....

12. jehoshaphat

jehoshaphat Well-Known Member

I miss Ole Hoot, too! His words of encouragement, his challenges to do good, to walk with God were so uplifting(felt like a swift boot to the spiritual hiney at times! lol!). I have learned so much from all of you! A few more that that have posts that spoke to my heart are, GMB, MGNM, Melissa & rockpile. I look forward to the new year full of exciting news from all of you. Patti

13. hmsteader71

hmsteader71 Well-Known Member Supporter

You all have become family. So many on here helped me get through the passing of my mother, never forgotten but the severity lessened. So much help on here. I miss Ol'Hoots posts so much. I have learned a lot even if I haven't been able to apply all of it yet. The Christmas Card exchange was so much fun this year, I was checking my mail box every day! A place where prayer & God are not just shoved under the rug. The night my daughters boyfriend was nerely killed in his car accident, one of the first things I did was to post a prayer request on the Bible forum. And my friends on there didn't let me down. People really care on here. I may have never met anyone in person, but feel like I know several of you.

14. BasicLiving

BasicLiving Well-Known Member

I joined this forum late in 2006. In the short time I've been here, so many of the posts have made me laugh, and many of the things shared have made me cry. I am always excited when someone posts pictures of their goats, chickens, and other animals and just love to see pictures of all the homesteads.

Seekers posts on "A LAMENT about aging parents" has really touched me. He's done a wonderful job of capturing such a difficult time in his life.

For the most part I feel welcomed on this website, but at times I've been surprised at some ugly responses.

My husband and I have worked so hard to achieve our goal of homesteading, and it's frustrating that we're not there yet. But we are very close, and the time we spend on our homestead on the weekends helps. It also helps that I've found this website and have "met" many who are working towards the same goals as us, as well as learn from the ones who are there.

Such a diverse group. So much knowledge here. I'm thankful for this website and this forum. And Melissa I'm thankful for you - you are so patient and so kind and work so hard to make this a nice place to be.

Happy New Year everyone! I look forward to sharing 2007 and with you.

Penny

15. michelleIL

michelleIL tryna be His

I'll agree with the previous poster, the deal with Kenneth in Nc was crazy. As well as Snacraft's struggles. I hope everything goes ok there. I read tightwad tips religiously. I don't post much, simply because I don't have a lot to say most times. I also started reading more in the self reliant thread, as well as alternative health. The preserving food thread looks good too.
    Michelle

16. Becca65

Becca65 Well-Known Member

First off, Happy New Year everyone! I hope everyones year is healthy and happy!!
    I like this board alot, I've learned a few things, the posts that have touched me the most Haggis daughter I found it to be very touching how the family took care of her after her hospital stays, and how she was getting better, I haven't heard anything but I hope everythings going well.
    Rose grandson I have followed that one too, and I pray he does well in 2007!
    I've enjoyed the Christmas card exchange I counted my cards the other day I had over 50 cards!! and I enjoyed the Christmas ornament exchange too, hope they do it again next year.
    thanks to Melissa and the other mods for making this board enjoyable and monitored like it should be. :baby04:

17. Oilpatch197

Oilpatch197 Well-Known Member

These users really helped educate me here at HT, and made many new Friends not listed.

Kenneth in Nc
    Bob in WI
    JohannesBrahms
    oz in SC
    antiquestuff
    Clementine
    Qwispea
    BeckyH
    Stickywitch
    Mastiff
    wvpeach1963
    Immaculate Sublimity
    Ozarkguy
    Gayle
    ol_hillbilly
    Cornhusker
    I found their threads very informative and intriguing.

Any ideas that have changed your life in large or small ways?
    Yeah sure has, this place helped me polish my Preaching Skills on a wide range of Topics. Also members PM'ed me about other things, like Barker Hill, Today's Homesteading, and Homesteading Tommarrow.

Anything memorable happen?
    Yes

How has this place affected your life?
    It has shown me how gullible the internet Forums can be.