melons?

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by Rouen, Jul 11, 2006.

1. Rouen

Rouen Well-Known Member

I have melons growing, water melons, cantaloupes and honey dews, they're all at pretty much the same stage except for a few that I had to plant to replace as the rain caused a few to rot.

my water melons all have 3 true leaves and one new one coming up, and what appears to be flower buds?? all of my water melons were started on the 17th of May, is it too early for them to be flowering? or will they take off after they bud like the peas did?

2. jnap31

jnap31 garden guy

It is not to early, they will take off shortly if your soil is fertile.

3. Rouen

Rouen Well-Known Member

Thanks
    the soil is fertile, I was mistaken, it's a melon from the mix packet thats budding, not a water melon.

4. WisJim

WisJim Well-Known Member Supporter

Might be kind of late if you expect to get ripe fruit before frost.

5. Rouen

Rouen Well-Known Member

with the way our winters have been (not to mention our summers) I dont expect a good frost till late oct. or early/mid november.
    every one in the area that has a garden has been set back due to the whole month of rain we got, a man up the road has a farm stand, his zukes and squash are just now flowering, a "normal" year he'd be selling produce by late June.

6. WisJim

WisJim Well-Known Member Supporter

Around here (western Wisconsin), our last spring frost was early May instead of the more common early June, and my watermelons are the size of golf balls to tennis balls, and we have been eating zuccini and other summer squash for weeks. But it is still pushing it a bit to get ripe melons before October, except for some of the really early varieties--and here it has been extremely dry, couple of inches short of normal rain, about a tenth of an inch in the last 3 weeks, and farmers are very concerned about losing crops.

7. chuckhole

chuckhole Born city, love country

We put hay down all around ours for ground cover and they have performed beautifully. We have picked 5 watermelon already (zone 8). They started blooming right away as yours have. The first blooms likely will not produce. It takes a while for the bees to find your patch.