Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Getting pretty tasty (equal to the average I get at the roadside stands) watermelons from a hill of crimson sweet (southern exposure seed exchange) I planted in the edge of a pile of compost. And since they're BIG and noone else in the family eats watermelon I Was pleased to take one to a family reunion (the sugar baby was WAY too green) and yesterday to take four to DH's work picnic where they were much enjoyed.

Sadly while hunting out the four ripe wm day before yesterday I found 6 rotted Chantenay canteloupes- below the rot smell it smelled like it would've tasted lovely! Will hunt through those leaves a bit more thoroughly and regularly from now on!

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
I have a row and a half of cantaloupes this year. Because I live in the North, I grew Fastbreak and Moneylope both around 75 days. I am disappointed because the melons are much smaller than usual. I am blaming it on cool nights and intermittant rain. We have been drip irrigating once a week but it probably was not enough to carry the plants through. There are plenty of melons but they are mostly in the 3 pound range.
Linda

1 - 3 of 3 Posts