Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Plays with yarn
509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The FDA is now reporting traces of melamine found in US infant formula. Earlier they were saying that there is no safe level of melamine for infants, but now that it's showing up in US manufacturing processes they're backtracking and saying that maybe a little bit is OK???? :flame: I'm so glad I've decided to breast feed this time around!

Melamine in Infant Formula

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
I just read an article on this on CNN. I found it crazy how it said several "top" formulas had trace amounts in it... but they didn't dare include the company names who manufactured the formula. They probably didn't want to hurt the companies financial situation by outing them. :lookout:

And it went on to say that if you were feeding your baby these certain formulas, it was "best for the baby" if you continued feeding it to them.

Whoa, scary! I think this will probably (and sadly) just be the tip of the iceberg. :mad:

·
Original recipe!
14,044 Posts
WHAT!!!???!!????
We are all just going to die! I swear... between poisoning our kids and all of the other stuff!!!
C'mon farm!
It makes me more determined than ever to get off the mainstream, agro-giant teat!
<<<Shudders>>>
and the whole not telling who thing... that ain't right!

·
Registered
5,961 Posts
Both of mine were totally breast-fed. My grandmother said, "just 'cause there's a cow on the label, doens't mean it's milk in the can." She came through a time when infants were poisoned by lead in the cans. She bought me my first cloth diapers too. And was big on cooking from scratch. She like to "put everything in the pot myself, so I know what it is."

G

·
I just read an article on this on CNN. I found it crazy how it said several "top" formulas had trace amounts in it... but they didn't dare include the company names who manufactured the formula.
Did you read the OP's article?

The three firms — Abbott Laboratories, Nestle and Mead Johnson — manufacture more than 90 percent of all infant formula produced in the United States.

·
Premium Member
24,573 Posts
Thank goodness my grandson has never tasted formula! I am very proud of my daughter. While she was pregnant she was adamant about not breast feeding, but the day Jude was born she agreed to try it. He just turned one and she is still breast feeding.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Infants can also be fed on the old-fashioned "formula" of evaporated milk, water and corn syrup and supplemented with infant vitamins--I spoze.

·
Registered
84 Posts
It's not just the formula. It's also being used quite regularly in our food, mainly produce.

I was reading about how melamine was used on commercial farms to help keep they staying life of nitrogen based fertilizers, but the downside was that it was decomposing as salt-based crystals.

In short, big agro is using this poison for short term results while salting the fields of America's main source of food. That certainly is something to think about. I praise you guys and gals who farm on your own private property. You may, in the future, have some serious offers for your fertile land because of the dead soil that will be rampant if we can't get the US to drop using melamine in our day to day crops.

Also, I was reading about breastfeeding the other day and found some interesting news.

Baby formula was made for the developing US when everything shifted from being natural and normal to scientificly analyzed for everything. Most formulas were just that. Chemical concotions made up, mostly by men who felt slighted for not being apart of the breastfeeding bonding, so they could have a scientific say about a child's well being.

They went as far to say (and convince a majority of the populous) that babies thrive better on formulas because the teat is outdated. Can you believe that?? Jealous men convinced a majority of the US that the breast was garbage and that they need to feed their babies a concotion of bread, sops, ceareal, cow's milk, and other natural things instead of what they grew up on.

Also, when formulas became the rage in our not so recent past (around the late 60s to late 70s) the World Health Organization realized, that around the world, big formula companies were marketing formulas to inpovershed countries to get them to buy it. They had more water than the breast milk they could offer, so many 3rd world countries bought into it and went broke buying formulas for their babies. In thos countries, infant mortality rose astoundingly as well as in the US. The WHO passed a code forbiding the companies from marketing formula to the consumers and only to doctors who could perscribe and supply it. And guess what? The US told the WHO to stuff it because they were one of the biggest producers of formula!

There is so much infolved with formula that it makes my stomach curddle. I know when my baby arrives, they will be stuck to the teat for a long time. In the same book I was reading, they said that the optimal time for children to wean themselves was around four years old or earlier. Doesn't sound so bad considering what is in baby food and the milk substitutes they push like crack and heroin.

·
Trainer of kids, dogs and horses...fears nothing
8,598 Posts
Maybe docs will finally start getting serious with breastfeeding support instead of that old, "You should if you can. But, well, if you can't, you just can't..." :mad:

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
I have three can's of the whole powdered milk (Nido brand, manufactured by Nestle) in the food storage. Now I am questioning the safety of that...

·
Premium Member
4,785 Posts
I just read an article on this on CNN. I found it crazy how it said several "top" formulas had trace amounts in it... but they didn't dare include the company names who manufactured the formula. They probably didn't want to hurt the companies financial situation by outing them. :lookout:

And it went on to say that if you were feeding your baby these certain formulas, it was "best for the baby" if you continued feeding it to them.

Whoa, scary! I think this will probably (and sadly) just be the tip of the iceberg. :mad:
How scary is that????

I wonder if some of this stuff will boost breastfeeding rates or if doctors will actually talk to mom's about the fact that breast is best, formula is NOT a good substitute, where in the world did we get the idea that it was???

I was born in the early 70's to hippies that were living in the woods without indoor plumbing or electricity, so the thought of doing anything besides breastfeeding was not even thinkable and I nursed my kids till they were over 3 years old but I remember when my second was born my best friend was also due to give birth the same week from me. She was from the Midwest and because I was so horrified she wasn't going to breastfeed she gave it a go but she ended up feeling just too uncomfortable about having a baby nurse her breasts and switched to formula (no, I did not guilt trip her I was just very surprised she was planning on bottle feeding and wasn't even going to try breast) . Maybe if she would of had more support from her husband (who was probably also uncomfortable with the whole affair) and her doctor she could/would have continued.

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
I find this horrifying and totally unacceptable. When I was studying nutrition in college, I learned that we all are born with pre-cancerous cells. What determines if we get cancer is how many "insults" are bodies are subjected to throughout out lives. Melamine is certainly an "insult". How can it be OKAY to give this to babies??

·
Premium Member
4,031 Posts
Totally agree with copperpennykids! Our 20 month grandson went from the breast to goat's milk without any problems at all. As a family we don't use anything besides raw goats milk. Our 'milk storage' program is out in the barn, on the hoof....

1 - 17 of 17 Posts