Mehu-Maya juicer

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by oth47, Oct 2, 2011.

1. oth47

oth47 Well-Known Member Supporter

I found a Mehu-Maya steam juice extractor at a yard sale..no manual,no hose,but for $1.50 I wasn't gonna pass it up.It should be worth that much for scrap.Anybody use one? Is the juice watery? Is it worth trying out?

2. Pelenaka

Pelenaka Well-Known Member

1st off it's worth more as a resale than scrap so if your so inclined I'd consider offering it up on the barter board.

Hubby bought one for me @ Goodwill but I think he paid $20 maybe less came in the box but no manual. Hubby replaced the plastic hose for a few bucks (Lowes). If your missing the clamp you can always use a metal clothespin type clamp.

A few years ago I bought the manual when my daughter's & I visited Lehman's but I used it without. Pretty much got what I needed off the website as to directions.

Can you get by canning without it yes, but it is very nice to have especially if you have access to large quantities of fruit. I use my maybe once or twice a year some years not @ all but for the cost it's nice to have when I do score fruit.

~~ pelenaka ~~
    http://thirtyfivebyninety.blogspot.com/2009/07/steam-juicer.html

3. oth47

The local farm supply has hose of different sizes and a clamp was in the juicer.The granddaughters should get a kick out of watching it work,so I'll probably try it.We have 2 good electric juicers,but I can see where this rig might come in handy.Nice blog you have there.

4. CJ

CJ Well-Known Member Supporter

5. oth47

The Maya is aluminum,I think the Liisa is stainless steel.Never dreamed they cost that much..wow!

6. WildernesFamily

WildernesFamily Milk Maid

For the instruction book/recipe book:

http://lib.store.yahoo.net/lib/steam-juicers/Mehu-Liisa-Recipes.pdf

I don't have the Mehu Maya, but I have an enamel juicer I got free off of Freecycle. Made grape juice with it, and it came out great! I think one of the best tips is to let the juice run out as it's produced, don't let it sit in there or it can get to tasting kind of burnt.

7. Pelenaka

Pelenaka Well-Known Member

Thank you, & keep us updated on how your granddaughters enjoys the non-electric juicer.

~~ pelenaka ~~

Last edited: Oct 2, 2011
  8. kenworth

kenworth Well-Known Member

A steam juicer is the ONLY way to extract grape juice.

9. Tabitha

Tabitha greenheart

I got one made in Germany. It is heavy and enamel and I got it at a flea market. The juice is not watery and I used it mostly when I had a lot of elderberries. It works great for apples, too. The nice thing is, you can run the juice, already sterilized into sterilized bottles, and it is fast and efficient. My mother would then use a wooden pestle and make applesauce out of what was left. The apples were in a strainer basket already, it worked good. I have also used it to cook a whole big dinner on one burner. Roast in the bottom, vegetables
    and potatoes in the other compartments.