Meet Lilly pup

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by mpillow, Feb 21, 2005.

1. mpillow

mpillow Well-Known Member Supporter

We got our Border Collie pup yesterday and surprised the children with her! The look on their faces was priceless!!!

Her name will be Pillow's "Lilly" of the Valley. It looks as though she will have a watch eye and she is quite pretty...she actually has the same facial markings as our calf had....

The kids had to clean up her mess at 5am and take her out this morning...."Isnt this fun cleaning poop and pee and getting up so early!" I said to my little darlings..."make sure you remember how much work she is when you think you want to have children of your own".....Mom can we put diapers on her???? :rolleyes:

The goats opened their barn door while I had her outside yesterday..."What is that our mom is gushing over" so Lilly met the goats. Her eyes immediatly focused and she skulked in a circle around them....

I think the cat is down making alliances with the goat ladies in hopes of bringing this doggie down....I tried to be diplomatic with the cat but he just snubbed me ;) I didnt know he had such a fat tail... :haha:

I'll be glad when she is house-trained....I'll be spending a fortune in paper towels and disinfectant between no and then.... :no:

2. OD

OD Well-Known Member

Cats CAN get really indignant, can't they?
    Congratulations on the new pup. My all time favorite dog was a Border Collie. Their whole life is lived just to please the person that they love.

3. Ozarkquilter46

Ozarkquilter46 Well-Known Member

I always crate train my dogs. Its easy and alot faster than the standarded way. Take the dog out just before you go to bed and let her take her time to go. Then when you come back in put her in the crate and go to bed. Get up early and take her out first thing. I give lots of loveing and tell her good outside! it only takes about a week for them to get the hang of it. The crate should be only big enough for them to lay down in comfortable. Not big enough to play in.

4. GoldenMom

GoldenMom Well-Known Member

Nature's Miracle-'nuff said!!!!

5. mpillow

mpillow Well-Known Member Supporter

Our dog crate is frozen to the ground....we shall TRY to dig it out AGAIN today...I locked her in the bathroom last night...its a very small bathroom but the crate is my preferred method !!!!

Filling hot water pails&jugs..

6. Ravenlost

Ravenlost Well-Known Member Supporter

Housebreaking a Border Collie isn't very difficult because they are so smart! Our first, Huck, was housebroke within two weeks. Smart boy figured out that if he went outside to pee he got a treat. So one day he was at the door every five minutes. He would run out, squeeze out a drop or two, then run in and sit by the treat bowl. LOL...

It did take a little longer for the girls to make it through the night without an accident. I think it takes their bladders a little longer to mature.

7. Hank - Narita

Hank - Narita Well-Known Member

Definitely get a crate. Our Aussie sleeps in her crate all night. We take her out when we get up ourselves. Within the last 2 weeks she has slept all night. It is a great place to put them when they need their nap.