Meds for swelling reduction, fever reducer?

Discussion in 'Sheep' started by Cat, Apr 8, 2005.

1. Cat

Cat Well-Known Member

A few days ago I had to call a vet out to stitch up 2 of my ewes that were victim to a dog attack. The first is doing well eating normally and was stitched up. The second ewe was not given a good prognosis and I was supposed to put her down but I just can't do it as long as she's got fight in her and I believe she's got potential to regain decent health. At any rate, this second ewe received only a banamine shot and was not stitched because the wound was too severe. My question is, she has swelling in her face now and I'm wondering what else can be given as a fever reducer/swelling reducer. Any ideas? I'd like to get my hand on some more banamine but I haven't been able to as of yet.

2. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

They should be on antibiotics, the swelling is likely puss building up so you may have to lance it to releive presure at some point. Good old Asprin works wonders on ruminants, but the dose is substantially higher than a human dose. 6x more of reg strength. If you have Dexamethasone, you could try that too.

3. mawalla

mawalla Well-Known Member

Call your vet. Now that there has been a patient-doctor relationship established the doctor may be willing to refill the prescription for the Banamine as well as provide you with a good antibiotic to help with the infection.

Don't be embarrassed that you didn't put the sheep down, the vet will probably understand. They get into the business because they are compassionate and they love animals. I would bet that there is not one vet out there that hasn't worked their donkey off trying to save the "lost cause" themselves.

4. Sue

Sue Well-Known Member

If you are set on saving her, make it a point to get the Banamine TODAY. It is not only an anti inflamatory but also an excellent pain killer. She might have a chance if you can use the Banamine daily and also an antibiotic such as Penn.

5. Cat

Cat Well-Known Member

They're both getting penicillin for 5 days and I'm giving them a slightly higher dose than is recommended but I don't 'figger' it'll hurt. I asked what else could be used as a general pain reliever/fever reducer and the vet said just about everything is script nowadays which really chaps my hide, she said that even aspirin boluses are. I asked a friend today if she knew where I could find some banamine and she didn't, I'll just have to wait until Monday now, but I will get some aspirin in her and hope that helps. She's eating a bit of grain and I've been piling on the kelp, and she's been eating a bit of hay and drinking well so that's good. I have also gotten some Nolvasan to clean the wounds with since that wasn't done when the vet was here. I had to swipe that from a friend because I didn't even have that! :( I'm definitely going to have to get a first aid kit made, it's never been needed so it's been neglected.

Thanks everyone for the replies.