Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am researching and growing some medicinal herbs (yarrow, echinacea, St. John's wort, lavender, chamomile, etc.) Some grow easily from seed, others better from cuttings.

My question is: Would you buy starter plants of medicinal herbs from a farmer's market with a little brochure regarding care and "traditional use" of the herb, including how to prepare it? For $5 each? Do you think it's a viable market? Thank you.

·
Registered
922 Posts
I think you need to be very careful about describing your plants as 'medicinal' and even more careful about handing out a brochure describing any medicinal uses. The FDA takes a very dim view of anything they can describe as "practicing medicine without a license". Don't get me wrong. I am not averse to herbal remedies for myself. But without knowing a full medical history, whether buyers are on any medications that may interact with any of your herbs or whether they will have an adverse reaction, that is a lawsuit waiting to happen. I (personally) would go ahead and sell the herbs, perhaps with a brochure giving care instructions and a statement to the effect "for further information" a link to a reputable and comprehensive website. But be aware that even that can leave you open to a lawsuit given a determined lawyer and a sufficiently motivated complainant.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, NSIG and HH, for your reply. I am well aware of liability risk/FDA, and will be careful. Just wondered if you would buy starter herb plants (not for food, but for other use) for $5 from a farmer's market. Maybe? Again, thank you.

·
Joie de vivre!
2,847 Posts
It would depend on pot size/age of plant. Walmart and some nurseries sell a variety of herbs. Maybe use their prices / pot size as a rough ball-park guide for your area?

·
Registered
922 Posts
I agree that it would depend on the herb itself, the size of pot and the condition of the plant. $5 is cheap for - say - a patchouli or a lemongrass plant, but not for a basil...

Reactions: RichNC

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
I would too. Especially if they are plants that are hard to start from seed like FarmerKat said.

Also if they are grown 'organically' that may be a draw for some people.. Not necessarily 'USDA certified organic,' but if you mention that you don't spray or used organic seed or use your own compost.

For some people a cheaper price at Walmart is the way to go. Some people prefer locally grown, and supporting small business even if it is a little more money. Some people prefer not to support large corporations.

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
I found it much easier to sell potted herbs then I did with fresh cut herbs. Folks would come to my booth, love the scent of the fresh oregano or thyme and then say "oh, I don't know how to cook with that"......but they'd drive to the store and buy overpriced dried oregano and cook away.

·
Joie de vivre!
2,847 Posts
There you go, Thistle Mary! Part of the informational literature you create can also include harvesting, drying and other preservation methods.

Please keep us posted of your herbal ventures!

Reactions: Nsoitgoes

·
Expect the unexpected
2,111 Posts
You may want to go online and or call your state to see what or any regulations
there are for selling LIVE plants. In this state, one has to have a nursery license in order to
sell any plant in a pot.
If that is true for your state, maybe sell the plants dried in little bags.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts