Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a newbie and I'm happy to be here.

I've wondered often what I would do about getting my meds if there was a catastrophy. Doctors are not willing to give some prescriptions for more than two months at a time. I don't even know if my insurance will agree to that. I have epilepsy and it scares me to think about not having my meds.

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
Ask your Dr. for an emergency 30/60/90 day supply of your meds for emergencies (i.e, for your location, a tornado comes through). Tell them you would feel more comfortable with a 90 day supply and that you will pay out-of-pocket for the Rx. Another scenario, wait about 1-2 weeks after having your Rx filled and "lose" it, tell your Dr./pharmacist that you can't find it, and ask for another Rx.

If you can get an emergency Rx from the Dr., see if you can order online from Canada (requires a copy of the original Rx I think). Then, have someone take your Rx to another pharmacy to get filled. If they say that it was filled online play dumb, "oh, I didn't know that this Rx was already filled."

Another idea is to see if you can grow herbs to self-treat in emergencies. Maybe a combination of herbs can help, if only a little, with the symptoms.

·
Registered
7,798 Posts
You can also tell your doctor that you're afraid of not having your meds if there is any kind of catastrophe, and ask him/her to write your Rx for double the amount. You take your regular dose, and set the extra dose aside. In just a few months you'll have a nice little cushion of extra medicine.

Not all doctors are willing to do this, but some are.

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
That's kind of asking a doc to commit fraud. Not a good thing.

Another way around this is to have your dose 'upped' as if you need more, but ask for it in divided doses so you can take it twice a day instead of once. May not work for all meds, but your doc won't be having to make the decision of whether or not to write a fraudulent script.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Sometimes you can just be honest with your doctor and tell them you are concerned about running out of meds in an emergency situation and they will happily give you a 90 prescription and/or samples. My doctor always writes my son's asthma meds for 6 months at a time (90 day supply with a refill for 90 days)and he gives me samples too. Between the current prescription and samples the doctor gave me my son has a year's supply of asthma medicines at all times.

Some people also buy medications online from Canada, I do it too for some things but there are pros and cons and everyone has their personal opinions about the safety of this. I have had no problems personally, but if you can buy meds here in the US at a price you can afford and you can get the prescriptions you need then that is the safest thing to do.

·
Premium Member
899 Posts
Or tell your doctor that you are worried about the current economic situation, feel you or spouse may be laid off, and would like to get at least six months ahead on your medications while you can afford them.

·
Premium Member
4,000 Posts
Most insurance companies will do 90 days for an established drug your known to need. Heck, most try to force you into it. Its cheaper for them to do 1 bill instead of 3.
Also keep in mind you dont need to use insurance to buy meds and now with many of the common $4 programs going on its easy to skip the insurance company.

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
That's kind of asking a doc to commit fraud. Not a good thing.
Why would it be fraud? Anyone taking a maintenance drug understands the anxiety related to meds. There is nothing wrong with having an emergency 90+ day supply on hand.

I still say that if there is a possible natural remedy (plants) that you can grow then you should do so. Peter Schiff thinks there is a very real possibility that the dollar will collapse (think Zimbabwe) and if it does, no one will be able to get meds unless they are super rich or are connected.

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
Why would it be fraud? Anyone taking a maintenance drug understands the anxiety related to meds. There is nothing wrong with having an emergency 90+ day supply on hand.

I still say that if there is a possible natural remedy (plants) that you can grow then you should do so. Peter Schiff thinks there is a very real possibility that the dollar will collapse (think Zimbabwe) and if it does, no one will be able to get meds unless they are super rich or are connected.

If you're using your insurance to pay for it, and it's against their policies, it's considered insurance fraud, if I'm not mistaken. If you pay cash for it, it's not.

·
Registered
7,798 Posts
Why would it be fraud? Anyone taking a maintenance drug understands the anxiety related to meds.
It might not pass the black and white test, but many doctors sympathize with people whose lives depends on their medication. Some with write an Rx to allow them to get extras, some will give free samples, some will write extra Rx to allow people to get them elsewhere.

It's a shame this is even an issue. I'm asthmatic, and it's sad and annoying that I can't just order what I need. I've been responsible for my medication since I was about 8, and responsible for my insurance since I was 18. I know what works for me, what doesn't, what it all costs. Why can't I just go online and order it? I pay my bills, I pay for my meds...and yet the gov't just loves to control my access to meds.

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
It might not pass the black and white test, but many doctors sympathize with people whose lives depends on their medication. Some with write an Rx to allow them to get extras, some will give free samples, some will write extra Rx to allow people to get them elsewhere.

It's a shame this is even an issue. I'm asthmatic, and it's sad and annoying that I can't just order what I need. I've been responsible for my medication since I was about 8, and responsible for my insurance since I was 18. I know what works for me, what doesn't, what it all costs. Why can't I just go online and order it? I pay my bills, I pay for my meds...and yet the gov't just loves to control my access to meds.
This one comes from the insurance industry influencing government, to be sure. They also interfere with the free practice of doctors by lobbying with millions to get laws passed that tie the hands of the docs and the patients.

But that's a subject for another thread. ;-)

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
I never said anything about letting the insurance company pay for a second Rx. I said to pay out of pocket. I agree with another poster above, most Dr's seem willing to write a second Rx so that you can have an emergency supply on hand.

·
Registered
109 Posts

You can go online and order your meds... not from the U.S. of course, but people order meds all the time and despite all the scary stories about the meds being bad/dangerous, from what I understand there are some places that actually send you meds made by the same pharmaceutical companies that provide meds in the U.S.

It's a choice, and option you have now. Not so certain it will be a choice in the future world of internet b/c they will eventually police the internet to a degree that discussing things like this won't be possible. IMHO

I believe there was a thread about ordering meds a while back in fact with a couple links to reliable places. I have heard of a few reputable places myself ..... :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts