Medicating calender

Discussion in 'Beekeeping' started by buzzboy, Dec 21, 2006.

1. buzzboy

buzzboy Well-Known Member

Hello...
    I have two hives this last year and am upping that to 7 total this spring.
    I have not had to medicate on any kind of real scale yet...just some fumidil and grease patties so far, and some checkmite for SMHB.
    I was just wondering if someone could give me a sample of their medication schedule.
    The books do not seem to give very specific information on med and times to apply save for temperature factors.
    Any thoughts?
    Thank you and peace.

2. beaglady

beaglady Well-Known Member

I don't use any 'medications' at all. My bees are on small cell foundation and seem to be able to handle mites with no chemicals. I check mite counts maybe once a month in warm weather & have used powdered sugar to knock them down if I get more than a few in my sugar roll, but that's it.

3. alleyyooper

alleyyooper keeper of the bees Staff Member Supporter

medicate for mites early in the spring once the girls start flying. If useing Checkmite strips again remember to remove them in 42 days. We do the teramicin when we do our spring mite controls. If your useing Checkmite after useing it last year you should switch to some thing else this fall so the mites don't become resistance.
    We use formic acid, Canadain style.

:D Al

4. buzzboy

Hmmm...what about menthol? Do you use it at the same time as the chem strips(apistan, checkmite, formic acid....) and the terrimycin?
    I do not plan on treating for V-mites unless I find them in my spring sugar roll, but I would like to know if I can medicate for all of these things at about the same time...otherwise how could you ever harvest honey what with the withdrawl time on some of these chemicals?

5. alleyyooper

alleyyooper keeper of the bees Staff Member Supporter

In the past we did the menthol only in the fall with our vorroa mite treatment,never in the spring. With formic used as we do we no longer need to do menthol.
    For late spring and summer control of vorroa, we use drone comb and powder sugar with good results.

:D Al

6. buzzboy

Very cool...thank you very much Alley...and I loved your card!
    peace.