Medicated pellets?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by celadon, Sep 1, 2006.

1. celadon

celadon Well-Known Member

Not having goats for long I have never heard of medicated pellets. What is this?

2. suzyhomemaker09

suzyhomemaker09 Well-Known Member

it is a feed that has meds for cocci in it... the "show goat " feed at my local MFA has them in it.

3. saraccon

saraccon Member

We use this for our bucks, because it also has ammonium chloride (at least the Blue Seal brand we buy does) to help them not have urinary problems. I wish they had a buck feed with the ammonium chloride though and not the dewormer...

4. goatkid

goatkid Well-Known Member Supporter

The medicated feed I use is manfactured by West Feeds and has a coccidiostat in it. It also is high in protein to promote growth in kids.

5. Lizza

Lizza Well-Known Member Supporter

The vet who sold us our 4H meat goat said to use the medicated "show goat" our local grain miller makes for him. She used the same feed for her boys.

6. Jcran

Jcran Well-Known Member

I brought home a show buck from Washington in July and he came with a bag of medicated feed as he is just a baby. I LOVE IT! I started feeding it to two of my doelings and they both grew like weeds along with him. It is made by CMF or CHF feeds and I think is from South or North Dakota. I get it from a place in Oregon in Harrisburg (Kropf Feeds) and have it delivered to a local feed store and pay through the nose. However, here in Northern California the rainy coastal climate (over 75 inches this year) makes the coccidia an endemic problem. I am going to use it through this year and compare last year's growth rates with this years.

7. Jcran

Jcran Well-Known Member

OOPS...it is CHS, the feed company, and can be accessed by going to chsnutrition.com; I believe the feed is called "boer goat developer r20". I get it in bags with "PAYBACK" on the front.

8. celadon

celadon Well-Known Member

Thanks everyone, I noticed at TSC they had several different goat pellets. I will check them out now. I am learning alot.