Medical Transciption

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by JAS, Feb 9, 2005.

1. JAS

JAS Well-Known Member

Another question about work at home opportunities. I currently have a graphic design business but could not depend on it for a living. I am looking for something that would be out of the home as I have three children, two of which are in school. I have looked for a part-time job but don't know how to get around the day-care hassle?

I was wondering about medical transcription. Are any of you doing this? I have a Zoology minor and have taken Histology, embryology, physiology and more so the medical terminology does not scare me, I actually enjoy it (I was planning on becoming a medical illustrator before marriage, thus the BS in Art and minor in Zoology:haha: ). I type fairly fast (60-70wpm) and have worked at data entry at a bank using 10 key.

Could you recommend on-line training. Pros, cons....Thanks.

2. gspig

gspig Well-Known Member

My wife does transcription. First, If you don't have broadband internet (dsl, isdn, cable) forget working at home. Next, there are several work at home opportunities, but you must log in when THEY want and work a set shift time. Third, you will be competing with companies that outsource the work to oversea individuals (lowering the pay potential). Now if I haven't scared you off, there is a niche market. Find small practices, one or 2 doctors, costs them more money and hassle to deal with a faceless organisation than a local individual. There are a few organisations that will send piece work that you can do at your own speed. Sell yourself as an overflow, vacation, or temp need worker.

As far as training, forget self teaching programs, look at community colleges or technical colleges. At most a 2 year program.

3. CraftyDiva

CraftyDiva Is anybody here?

4. gspig

gspig Well-Known Member

I checked their pay rate - 1/2 cent per word?!!!!!!!! What a rip-off, my wife gets 10 cent per line, but she does have to drum up her own work.

5. goatlady

goatlady Well-Known Member Supporter

guys, I have been dong MT at home going on 5 years now. YOu do NOT have to have DSL, etc. I only have dial-up and have no problems. I work for the U.S.'s largest transcription company, they DO NOT outsource (it's in their client contract). I tell THEM when I will be working (days and times). If something comes up and I don't sign on they may not like it because it messes up their workflow, but I NEVER get negative feedback, nothing is EVER said to me. I contracted to type a minimum of 4000 lines in a 2-week pay period, but I can do more if I want. Many times they will call and ask if I could do more liines, I say yes IF I want to. I never run out of work, it goes 24/7. They pay my phone line and Internet service, offer periodic weekend bonsus when an account get behind, and they have the bottom line liability. I quit at noon every day which gives me lots of time for gardening, etc. I am currently going to be moving 5 states away and the company will give me a month off to get settled, then I get my accounts back with no problems. It's a great at-home job. There are training programs on line or via tape just for transcription training if you already have the medical terminology down pat. Runs about $1000 or so and can be done quickly at home.

6. TrudyPowell

TrudyPowell Well-Known Member

Hi -

I'm wondering if you are looking for something to make some quick money right now or are you wanting to get into a home business that could be a long-term, build-as-you can type business? I am a stay-at-home mom to three also and love my at-home job. There is not huge money right from the start, but I am building my business one month at a time and I really love it, and it's great for our lifestyle, as far as my being able to do it without leaving home, even letting the kids be somewhat involved, and structuring it to how it best suits our family and priorities.

Let me know if you are looking into any various kinds of opportunities and I'll give you information about what I do if you want to check it out. If you specifically are interested in the medical transcription, then the other posts will help you out.

7. CraftyDiva

CraftyDiva Is anybody here?

How are words counted in a typing test? Is it by the word or a number of strokes that make a word. Since they require 60 words a minute, that would pay 30 cents a minute, multipy that by an hour and what do you get? $18. an hr? They (the company) say you can make $12-15 an hr. Seems possible and pretty good money for a stay at home mom. Flipping hamburgers pays a lot less for more work. :D

8. Buffy in Dallas

Buffy in Dallas Well-Known Member Supporter

< They (the company) say you can make $12-15 an hr. Seems possible and pretty good money for a stay at home mom. Flipping hamburgers pays a lot less for more work.>

THEY LIE!!!! NO NO NO NO
    Please don't get into this thinking you are going to make big $$$. It aint gonna happen. There is SO much more involved than typing!!!! This is not an easy job. It has can have bad hours, major frustrations and bad pay. Have you ever tried to figure out what a doctor was saying in a recording when he has an accent SO BAD that you have to listen to a sentence 5 times to get one word???
    This is why I quit. (along with the CTS from typing long hours)

You Might make 10$ an hour IF your really good, have a really great, understandable american doctor, and work for a good company.

9. Lt. Wombat

Lt. Wombat Well-Known Member

Did you sell your place Norma? If so CONGRATS!! I guess AR is your destination now?

10. katlupe

katlupe Off-The-Grid Homesteader Supporter

I have a good friend who does medical transcription for the xray department of a large hospital in our area (United Health Services - actually it's 2 hospitals). She is employed by them and they supply her with a extra phone line and computer in her home. She receives all the benefits of a full time job and she just signs on her computer to put her 8 hours in. She does get a lot of overtime too. She has worked for them for a number of years and makes really good money. But she did start out working in the office and then they decided to let some of the women work from home as it saved them more money. There are still some that work at the hospital, and don't want to work at home. My friend has to go to in-services every so often, and she has to be sure that no one - not even her 12 year old daughter can be looking over her shoulder while she is working. She loves it!

11. Jan Doling

Jan Doling Well-Known Member

My neighbor is a single mom and has done med trans for years. We live in the middle of nowhere and she never leaves the property unless she wants to. She spends a lot of the daylight hours tending her yard which is gorgeous. She is always available as a mother and has the house cleaned and dinner cooked when the kid hops off the school bus. I really envy her. How are family health insurance and vacations handled?

12. rkintn

rkintn mean people suck

I, too, am interested in this job. I have been looking at several companies that offer training and certification. Any advice on which companies are legit and which ones aren't? I was leaning towards PCDI since they claim approval with the military DANTES program and they have an inexpensive payment plan.

13. JAS

JAS Well-Known Member

Oh, Wind in Her Hair, how embarrassing :eek: , I guess spelling is not my strong point!

The reason I am looking at this profession is that I do not get out of the house very often and usually have a toddler with. I was hoping to get the training on line--otherwise the day-care issue would arise with schooling. Also, I want something real, not get rich quick stuff.

I was only making $8.50 for the cheap-scape printer as his only graphics person--could not afford day-care for three on that. But without daycare or gas/car up-keep that would not be bad at all.

Goatlady, you seem to be the most encouraging. Do you, or anyone, know of a creditable on-line course? I do not have DSL, we are out of our local company's range. I go to church with the head of nursing in the local hospital. I think I will talk to her about area opportunities.

14. SherryK

SherryK Member

Hi Jas,

I guess I'm sort of a newbie on this forum, though I was a member a while back. Just got too busy for a while to check.

I have been doing transcription work at home for 13 years now. I got started when I was laid off my parrtime job and wasn't happy working outside of the home anyway. So I got a computer, did general typing for a while but then decided with my medical background that I would try for transcribing at home. I made up a flyer and mailed it out to local doctors offices. I picked the smaller offices and was lucky enough that my flyer arrived at one office the same day their current at-home transcriptionist was quitting. So I started with that office and over the years have worked for another lady who had several accounts that I helped with and also worked for several other doctors. I am still typing for the first doctor even though I started working for him in Tallahassee. We recently moved to Virginia and I just took my job with me. My typing for him is pretty unique though, because he doesn't have to dictate any more. They send me copies of pages from the charts with his notes, test results, and his findings and recommendations. I type everything from these pages and don't have to fool with the tapes any more. I also work with a lot of macros which saves me lots of typing time. I figure I average about $17 a hour and I pick my own hours, so I love it. I did work for a doctor here in Va for a while, but he did have an accent and also did more technical dictations than I had done before, so working for him was a real struggle. But with any doctor, it will take time to get used to his style, terminology, and also how they format their dictations. They are usually good about working with you until you get used to it.

So to make a long story short, with your terminology background, good typing speed, and using some good programs that are available to help with transcription such a medical and pharmaceutical spell check, you may be able to find a job without any training. I never had formal training in transcription, just a medical background from working as a unit secretary in a hospital. I have learned quite a bit over the years from working for various doctors and the internet makes an invaluable reference source.

Hope that helps you some. Good luck.
    Sherry

15. rkintn

rkintn mean people suck

16. JAS

JAS Well-Known Member

Ok, I have been doing some research on the on-line courses and this is what I have found:

The three top on-line courses appear to be:

1. The Andrews School - www.andrewsschool.com ($3,800, usually takes 9 to 12 months to complete)

2. M-Tec - www.mtecinc.com ($3,195, usually takes 12-14 months)

3. Career Step - www.careerstep.com ($1,560, usually takes 6 to 12 months)

Each offer quality training and appear to have high hiring rates after completion and companies seem willing to test graduates, waving the 2 to 3 years experience.

I am leaning towards Career Step, due to the lower price but I don't believe they supply you with a lot of the books needed as the other schools do (you can purchase these separate). And they only have a one year support after graduation instead of unlimited as the other two have. Anyone here have experience with one of these?

Also, I found some good forums for MTs:

http://www.mtchat.com/frame.php?frame=message

http://www.aamt.org/forum/index.php

They are a great source of information and there is a lot of information on schooling . . .

rkintn, check into the PCDI, I don't think it was recommended.