medical question !!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by btg, Jan 7, 2004.

1. btg

btg Member

My husband is having chronic bronchitus flair-ups and seems that nothing is doing any good for him. If any of you have some suggestions for helping me clear this up, I would greatly appreciate hearing from you. :confused:
    Thank you in advance.

2. comfortablynumb

comfortablynumb Well-Known Member

uuummm go to a doctor? If he has bronchitis he should be on antibiotics to keep it from going into pheumonia. He should be on a nebulizer if he is having a hard time breathing, prolonged lack of oxygen is no good for his heart. Lots of inhaled steam will loosen the chest a bit.

Don't fool around trying to herb treat it, phneumonia is a deadly thing to risk. Go to a doctor, tell em you cant breath, insist on a nebulizer, they will lease/loan you one for the medications. they help better than most any remedy you can give, the meds have a bronchodialotor in them to open up the lungs and promote coughing up the crap in yer lungs.
    -from an asthmatic whos had his lung collapse and had near fatal pheumonia before

3. harmony

harmony Well-Known Member

numb is right. Is you dh a smoker? If so, there is nothing to be done for that kind of chronic bronchitis exept quitting smoking, regular rounds of antibiotics anad hoping that the disease hasn't progressed to emphysema. The only thing I can add to numb's advice is for you dh to drink lots and lots of water, to help thin the secretions.

4. Ardie/WI

Ardie/WI Well-Known Member Supporter

Does your DH have allergies? For me it's dust-old dust. Among other things! It triggers a tightening in the chest and uncontrollable coughing. I have no cure for it and it loosens up. But, I also know when it's bronchitis and I'm off to the doctor.

5. almostthere

almostthere Well-Known Member

There are alot of air born things that could trigger these flare ups. Smoking was one of them for me, I lived in a smoking household until I turned 19 and got out of it. I have been gome some 12 years, and after yearly bronchitus when I lived there, I havent had it one time since. But that may not be the issue here, it could be allergies, it could be smoke from the fire, anything. You should try to test for anything and everything, b/c the sicker he gets the more damage his lungs take. If you find its allergies, get the infection gone and you can treat allergies with herbs once he is better. HTH

6. Cabin Fever

Cabin Fever Life NRA Member since 1976 Supporter

I dunno if it'll work for your hubby or not, but I've always found that sipping Jagermeister will cure any coughing fit that I've ever had. It's was invented by monks in Germany and is made out of dozens of herbs, spices and fruits that are fermented for a very long time.

7. Kathy in MD

Kathy in MD Well-Known Member Supporter

Every one had excellent advice. The one bit advice that I would add is avoid milk, ice cream, any dairy product. They can increase mucus build-up.
    I hope he feels better. Take care, Kathy

8. btg

btg Member

Thanks for all the advice. He is going to the doctor today. Thankfully, he is not a smoker. We shall see what they say is wrong with him and hopefully get him on the right road. I really appreciate all the concern and help in this matter. Homesteaders really do care about each other.
    Blessings !!!!!!!

9. Terri

Terri Singletree & Weight Loss & Permaculture Moderator Staff Member Supporter

ANOTHER remedy is for your DH to cover his mouth and nose with a dust mask when he goes outside, to avoid the irritation of very cold, dry air going into the bronchial tubes.

I am an RN with SEVERAL asthmatics in the family, and a bout or 2 of bronchitis in my past. You have received VERY good advice here.

Good luck at the doctors office! :)

10. Runners

Runners A real Quack!

Another suggestion... I encourage my kids to sip something when they start coughing, it seems to help keep the throat from becoming further irritated.

We mix 1/4 cup Lime juice (Real Lime brand) with 1/2 cup of sugar to 2 quarts of water. It's not bitter, cuts the phleum, doesn't sour the stomach and still tastes fine warm or cold. Also works good for fasting.

If you have forced air heat, change the filter more often in the winter, check the bag on the vacuum for moldy smells & change it more often. If you have indoor wood heat, before you vacuum up around the burner, get a long hose for the vacuum, put it outside the door, and then vacuum (the ash is so fine, it'll penetrate most bags and really get airborne).

11. btg

btg Member

Thank you again for all the suggestions.
    We have new scripts waiting for us at the pharmacy right now. The medic is working very closely with him and I'm sure a recovery is soon near.
    Again, thanks from me to all the homesteading family!!!!!!!

12. Beeman

Beeman Well-Known Member

What type of heat do you have? A wood stove or a forced hot air type of heat will dry out the air. When this happens it will irritate your respritory system and leave you susceptible to illness. The doctors will treat the symptoms with drugs but never try to find the source.