Medical question, thyroid removal?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Beeman, Aug 18, 2006.

1. Beeman

Beeman Well-Known Member

I'll try not to make this sound dumb but I only know a little of the facts.
    My daughter's friend who is 17 just went in with her mother and they both had their thyroids removed. This was supposed to be because of a possible cancer possibility which is supposed to be hereditary. After removal the girl's test has come back negative from what she says, she now has to face a lifetime of medication.
    I was just wondering if this sounds straight up or is this another case of modern medicine or panic parenting?

2. FolioMark

FolioMark In Remembrance

illinois but i have a homestead building in missou
    No its quite common. My mom had hers out because of a huge tumor nearly 20 years ago. She is still going strong on a small daily doze of synthroid. I still have my thyroid but take the same medication. Half the people I know take thyroid medication. Its fairly common in the midwest because midwesterners dont eat a lot of fish or sea food and have iodine deficiencies. Your wife and daughter should do just fine. :)

3. highlands

highlands Walter Jeffries Supporter

My mom also had hers out for a growth about 40 years ago. She takes daily med and is fine and into her 70's. Not something I would want to lose but better than getting cancer I suppose.

4. mysticokra

mysticokra Well-Known Member

Many people suffer from hypothyroidism because of a deficiency of iodine in their diet and/or too much soy. If you are in that camp you might benefit from a few internet searches. I did.

5. bostonlesley

bostonlesley Guest

Various thyroid disorders are often hereditary, or at least "run" in families to a great extent. In my own family every single female on my Mother's side of the family has had some serious thyroid disorder going back 8 generations. Mostly either Graves Disease or Thyroid cancer..my daughter is just a little concerned, yet so far at age 34 she has a normal thyroid..she did have Hodgkin's Disease, but thank God is in remission now.

6. homebirtha

homebirtha Well-Known Member

That does seem kind of over-agressive to remove it before there were any signs of growths. I think growths on the thyroid are fairly common a lot of people get along very well on synthetic thyroid. But to remove a 17-year-old's thyroid for a what-if possibility? I dont' think I would have agreed to it. I guess the doctors figure it's easy enough to replace what the gland does, but how do they know what other impact there could be.

7. Beeman

Beeman Well-Known Member

As I said this is my daughter's friend, not my daughter or any relative.
    The mother is the stereotypical low rent disabled hypocondriac sympathy seeking welfare recipient living in subsidized housing. Because of the free health care they seem to suffer from more ailments and take more prescription drugs than most. This girl stands a chance of breaking the chain and succeeding in life which is why I was asking about this. I believe this is what she said the thyroid removal was for. http://www.endocrineweb.com/MEN/MEN2.htmls

8. GrannyG

GrannyG Well-Known Member

My grandaughter was born WITHOUT ANY thyroid glands at all. My mother has had to have her thyroid removed as well, and so did my grandmother. My grand has been on medication all her life, she is in her 20's now, and has a child of her own, who was born without any thyroid problems. She has done perfectly on synthetic hormones.