Medical Q: Floppy Pig Syndrome?

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by Mr. Dot, Apr 18, 2005.

1. Mr. Dot

Mr. Dot Well-Known Member

Well durn, I've just had pigs a week now and I didn't expect to be pitching medical questions so soon but here goes...
    The neighbor across the road bought pigs from the same feller I did on the same day and presumably from the same litter (or whatever you call it with pigs).
    Yesterday he came over asking if my pigs were ok. I said I thought they were, why? He said his piglets were having problems with their legs - as in the legs giving away suddenly. I said I hadn't seen any sign of that but I'd keep an eye out. Well, today as I was showing a friend the piglets, sure enough I saw the same thing happen. Piglet's front legs seemed to go and she was on her belly for a moment then stood and went on about her business. They are eating and seem otherwise healthy.
    Any ideas as to what's up? Having just kidded a pair of buckling goats last week I got to thinking about floppy kid syndrome/white muscle disease. Here in MT we are selenium poor and I routinely give Bo-se to my does prior to kidding to prevent white muscle disease. Are pigs prone to the same problems? Otherwise I don't have a clue what's going on. These are 8~9 week 40-ish pounders.
    Opinions?

2. Ronney

Ronney Well-Known Member

Hi Mr Dot,

I've had piglets do this and they have always been Large Whites. It usually occurs within a few hours of feeding. They suddenly drop down, look a bit vacant for a few seconds then get up and walk away as though nothing has happened. There doesn't appear to be any pain or stress associated with it. I have never lost a piglet to it and they "grow" out of it. It affected most piglets in any given litter and all were good doers in that they ate well and grew rapidly.
    It has never occured in the Durocs.

White Muscle Disease and Selenium deficiency show quite different signs and the pig is more likely than not found dead.

Cheers,
    Ronnie

3. Mr. Dot

Well that's an encouraging report Ronney. The obvious concern is that if they appear unsound at 40lbs what kind of shape will they be in at 200? Your description of the "fainting pig" is dead on - vacant look, no sign of pain or distress and over in a moment. That yours have grown out of it is good news. These guys are some sort of Heinz 57 mix - white in appearance. Weaners seem to be pretty scarce in these parts. The neighbor bought from the same seller last year and didn't have this happen. I'll keep watching and hope this is a phase.
    Thanks alot for the reply.

4. Mr. Dot

This morning I called a nice gray-haired lady who works at a feed store in town and who raised pigs for many years. Closest to an "expert" I know. I had barely gotton my question out when she asked "white pigs?". She seems certain that it's sunburn. Saturday was the day my neighbor's piglets started displaying symptoms (I noticed mine Sunday) and Saturday was a full day of sunshine here. The piglets were barn raised and I think this is a reaction to overexposure due to all the fun of being outside and rooting in the dirt all day. I hope so anyway. I'll just regulate their outside time for a while and see how that works.