Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
23,924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I put the Cal doe in with the Cal buck today. He was interested, she seemed to become interested...

He did what boy bunnies do, but did not fall over.

I don't think he connected with the doe, either, because it seemed that the ejaculate wound up on her and on the board under the cage.

I figured I'd put her back in with him in a few hours, hoping that she'd be more receptive, and he'd be better able to get things where they belong.

Am I on the right track?

TIA,
Pony!

·
Lost in the Wiregrass
8,913 Posts
how old are the animals in question and have they bred before? the doe should lay out on the cage floor with her rear up in the air, and he should be able to connect, i would give them a second or third chance today but if they dont get it done try again tomarrow

·
Enjoying Polish Rabbits
1,219 Posts
KSALguy's got it right.

Is the doe hostile at all? Or is she just kind of baffled? Or is she just doing the 'butt pasted to the cage floor' thing?

You could try this - I've had it work for me. If they don't seem to breed successfully, instead of removing the doe from the buck's cage, take the buck and put him in the doe's cage, leaving them in each others cage overnight. Then next morning put the doe back in her own cage with the buck. It should be over quite quickly, and then the buck can be returned home. I've done this several times with success, and only once did the doe get nasty with finding the buck in her cage. I was ready, and rescued the buck quickly with no problem. Be prepared for this - most times it doesn't happen.

In an ideal situation, I'd like to have the bucks with an empty cage beside them. Then, when I'm getting ready to breed I'd put the doe in the cage beside the buck for a couple of days to get them interested before I actually breed, and then return the doe to the cage where she'll kindle.

·
Registered
11,427 Posts
Check the does vent and see if it's red. That's a good indicator that she'll breed.

·
Premium Member
23,924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
First, THANK YOU again for all the answers to my newbie questions. I really did try searching to find this info, but I must be using the wrong search terms or something...

To answer your questions: The doe wasn't hostile at all. Just kind of walked around the cage with the buck close (VERY close) behind. Finally, she put her nose in a corner and he mounted her. She did not lay out on the cage floor nor raise her rear end. She was just kind of "Oh, well... whatever..."

The breeder told me they were both about a year old. I forgot to ask if they buck had been tried, but she said that the doe was successfully bred before.

Maybe she'll be more in the mood when it's twilight. Have to wait until then anyway, as this seems to be a two-person job and Nick won't be home 'til later. (Had my friend help me with the cage transfer the first time.)

Bernadette, I'm confused about the sleeping arrangements you suggest. Buck in doe's cage or doe in buck's cage and return to which cage?

THANKS!
Pony!

·
Enjoying Polish Rabbits
1,219 Posts
OK, let me try again.

When Nick gets home, put the doe in with the buck. Hopefully they'll breed, and all will be well. If not, I would probably put the doe back in her own cage, and try one more time tomorrow.

Again, put the doe into the buck's cage. However, on this the third try, if they don't breed, instead of taking the doe out and putting her in her own cage, I'd leave her in the buck's cage, and put the buck in her cage. Leave them overnight, then put the doe back home in the morning. The deed should happen quickly, and then put the buck back in his own cage.

As I said, only one time did I have the doe get territorial, and be nasty to the buck. I was ready with my plastic transfer container and gloves, and grabbed the buck quickly and put him back in his own cage.

Does it make sense now?

I'm very tired today, and am having a few problems getting things written clearly! This method is in the Bob Bennet book on Raising Rabbits (I think it's one of the Story's Guides).

·
Premium Member
11,103 Posts
I think the idea is that when they spend a night in each other's cages, with the scent of the other on everything, it tends to fan the flames of passion, so to speak. The buck is likely ready to go anytime, but sometimes the doe needs a little help getting in the mood.

·
Premium Member
23,924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Oooookay, I have it now. :)

(You might think I am a little backward in the area of Rabbit Romance. You would think correctly.)

What, pray tell, is a plastic transfer container? Sounds interesting... Is it some sort of Randy Rabbit aide? ;)

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!

Pony!

·
Enjoying Polish Rabbits
1,219 Posts
Pony said:

What, pray tell, is a plastic transfer container? Sounds interesting... Is it some sort of Randy Rabbit aide? ;)
Well now, that would translate directly to "4.5 U.S. Gallon Roughneck Tote" - not nearly as glamorous as it could be, but twice as handy!!! Used to take doe to buck, rescue buck if necessary, move young kits to new cage (can do 4 at a time that way!) etc. Handy dandy!

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
this is one of those times when rabbits who have already been down lovers lane helps
but all things concidered mark your calander because you'll be needing a nest box in about a month!!!
has it accured to you yet that your rabbits may be laying plans to drive you insane?? :baby04:
its what they do after you go to bed :)
good luck

·
Registered
95 Posts
Something to keep in mind in many areas this time of year is the heat. Typically in summer months we breed only early in the morning or late in the evening to try an minimize heat stress. An added bonus is the rabbits are more active then and more likely to successfully breed.

Russ

·
Premium Member
23,924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
March Hare said:
Something to keep in mind in many areas this time of year is the heat. Typically in summer months we breed only early in the morning or late in the evening to try an minimize heat stress. An added bonus is the rabbits are more active then and more likely to successfully breed.

Russ

Very good point. The temp today was part of the reason I decided to give the breeding a shot. It was only 79* here, just beautiful!

We tried it again after supper. The male was, of course, VERY willing. The female pushed her butt down flat on the wire and refused to budge, despite our Casanova's best efforts.

We put Boy into Girl's cage, and left Girl in Boy's cage, and now the cages are next to each other. Hopefully, by morning, the object of the male's affections will be a more willing participant.

I wonder if there are Bunny Pheromones available online... ;)

Pony!

·
Premium Member
23,924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
ARGH!!!!

I am frustrated to the point of TEARS!!!!!! Tried again this morning, and no dice. She's not into it. Darn. This is getting complicated...

Am I going to have to hold the female so the male can breed her? Do I wait a week? Do I have to pick up some sort of Bunny Aphrodisiac?

Grrr.

I'll bet old Arnold isn't any too happy, either.

Pony!

·
Premium Member
23,924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
turtlehead said:
Pony, sorry you're having a frustrating time of it. I have no advice. Just wanted to let you know I care.

Wonder if she needs time to relax in her new digs? :shrug:

Thanks, Turtle.

I think I'll just let it go for another week or so. Wait until the kiddo is home, then I'll have an extra pair of willing hands to help. (Not that Nick isn't helpful -- he totally rocks! -- but he works a lot of hours, and DD will be home on convalescent leave from the AF.)

Maybe the doe -- and I -- need to relax. ;)

Pony!

·
Premium Member
11,103 Posts
While you and the doe are relaxing (and she may be picking up on your frustration) try feeding her a tablespoon of wheat germ every day on top of her food. Or mix it with a tiny drizzle of molasses. The idea is to increase her Vitamin E. It will make her more receptive. Vitamin E is a fat soluable vitamin, so you don't want to give her massive amounts... just a bit more than usual.

A tablespoon or two of apple cider vinegar per gallon water may also help.

These tips are "they says" -- but they certainly won't hurt and might just help.

·
Enjoying Polish Rabbits
1,219 Posts
and put her in a cage beside the buck (if that's possible) close enough so they can play 'kissy face' through the wire. Sometimes something they can't have is more appealing?

·
Premium Member
23,924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
We treated her sore hocks today. Poor thing! From the looks of it, she's had it for a while (as SquashNut suggested), but it was hidden with all that fur. Massaged a generous amount of neosporin into the sores, and will continue to do that until she's all healed up.

BTW, I am very impressed at how kindly and gently Nick is handling the rabbits. Melts my heart it does...

Back to the Cal's. I checked the buck's hocks: they look fine.

I'll be giving the doe some molasses and/or wheat germ. Do you think flax seed would be good? I have that on hand, will have to go to the store for the wheat germ. There's molasses here, now that I think on it. Does it matter if it's sulphured or unsulphured?

Now I feel just awful that I tried to breed her with those sore hocks. No way I'd feel "in the mood" if my legs hurt! :(

Pony!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.