Meathead

Discussion in 'Goats' started by TennesseeMama23, Dec 1, 2006.

1. TennesseeMama23

TennesseeMama23 Well-Known Member

Here is a pic of my new big boy. This is my first boer. He has some dog-like poo, but that is because the prev owners didn't give him enough roughage and too much grain. He is beautiful and has a very good tempermant and STINKS. He is 100% and registered and did I mention he is huge.

We named him Meathead.

[​IMG]

Any advice on him? I haven't ever had any other kind of goat other than dairies.

Experienced Boar people, what do you think about him? Does he look good to you? We bought him from a friend of the family and we really are very ignorant about boars and what they are worth and what they should look like. Thanks for any pointers.

2. Sher

Sher Well-Known Member

Aaaah TennesseeMama...what a handsome fella! I LOVE his behind!I love em heavy on both ends!

He's built for action..just let him do what he was meant to do...I hope you have a great breeding season and many hefty little babies!

Are ya gonna quarantine him for a while? I would..just in case he has anything going on. How old is Meathead?

Good luck!!

3. DocM

DocM Well-Known Member

I'd like him a little longer in the loin, but it's hard to tell from a picture. He'd be a great percentage sire, do you have some nice nubians to breed him to?

4. TennesseeMama23

He is 2, we don't need his "services" this year. Next is when we really will be using him. I put him in with my other buck, we didn't have any other place to go with him. I wish we could have kept him alone for a while.

Where we got him from looked really great though. All his goats looked very healthy to me (they were chunky though), he really gave them too much grain. He has had goats for many, many years and loves them and takes good care of them.

5. TennesseeMama23

We will be breeding him to Alpines and Nubian/Alpine crossses. Can't wait to see the ears on them.

6. DocM

DocM Well-Known Member

You'll have nice meat kids with those crosses.

7. KSALguy

KSALguy Lost in the Wiregrass Supporter

Boers are SUPPOSED to be chunky, you dont want them to look like a dairy goat,
    he looks like a good Buck, do you have the papers on him? if you do you can paper his daughters as 50% and work with them and sell them for a better price to meat herds, his sons will make GREAT additions to Freezer Camp,

he has a good thick back end as well as a nice heavy front from what i can tell in the pic, yes he could be a little longer but he is still a good size, he will produce great percentages on your dairy does.

he will do great on some good browse and alfalfa hay, but if he looses too much weight give him some more supplement.

8. Jcran

Jcran Well-Known Member

Do you have his papers handy? What are his lines? It's hard to tell how tall he is without something for reference alongside him. How much do you figure he weighs. He looks nice from just the pic.

9. moosemaniac

moosemaniac Well-Known Member

Oooh, if I took the computer out to the barn, Charity would be lusting for him right now. Yeah, she's in heat...I put her in with MoneyMaker, but she can be a fickle thing.

Ruth

10. KSALguy

my EGGS buck i had was 375 at 3years old, whats his line?

11. TennesseeMama23

I have no idea what you mean by line, sorry. Is it something that would be on the paper work?

Another question. It seems he is registered with 2 different places, the USBGA and the ABGA. Is this really necessary? Which one is better? Or should I keep him in both? Thanks.

12. Caprice Acres

Caprice Acres AKA "mygoat" Staff Member Supporter

By lines they been bloodlines... What's on his pedigree, pretty much.

13. mare

mare Well-Known Member Supporter

where can you register percentage goats?? is it just does you can register????

14. KSALguy

only Does can be registerd percentage, bucks can only be registerd Pure bred or Full blood,

if you work your percentages up and you get them to like (i want to say like 55/56's, but i dont remimber the exact numbers) you can register a buckling as american purebred or something but thats about it, and that should ONLY BE DONE with an EXCEPTIONAL ANIMAL,
    Bucks are not allowed to be registers if they are not pure because what would be the point to keep a Buck intact and registerd if he is not propetuateing the Pure Blood Lines of that given breed? if you breed him to percentage stock you have gotten NO closer to a higher percentage, if you breed him to Pure stock you have LOST ground. so only keep the BEST and PURE male stock intact if you want to register anything.

15. mare

thanks for clearing that up for me.......

16. mare

my last post mustve not went through----nice looking buck, you should get nice kids outa him.