Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have found wethers up to 6 months old for $15-35, so I'm considering buying one and prepping him for the freezer as soon as I get him home. So, my questions are:
If he has no contact with my other goats, does he need to be tested for anything?
Should he be fasted for any time before I kill him? I could keep him on the trailor overnight if I needed to.

From what I understand, he should be chilled for a few days before freezing him. The problem I have is that I can't hang him outside for any length of time due to our weird weather. I was out is a t-shirt yesterday, yet the day before was icey. Is the chilling necessary, or can he go straight into the freezer. I don't believe I have enough space in my refrigerator to keep him in there.

The only animals I have ever put in the freezer are chickens and rabbits, so any advice would be helpful. I have read the thread about how to kill and dress. It was very helpful.

·
Premium Member
1,075 Posts
I'm honestly not sure what I'd do with the testing, but I would certainly keep it separate from the herd. We do pen up our butcher goats the night before with only water.

You don't have to chill/age the carcass, but it will be much more tender if you do. We've done several experiments to find the shortest amount of time to age for best quality and have found that 2-3 days is perfect. Our weather gets way weird too with the extreme changes in temp - I just watch the weather report and look for three days that shouldn't get above 40. But - aging isn't totally necessary, the meat will just be tougher.

·
Premium Member
9,244 Posts
If he looks healthy, I would bring him straight home and butcher him the same day. This way he doesn't have any contact with your animals. No testing.
My butcher goats go straight from their usual habits, into the freezer. No fasting.

I never age my butcher goats and it is not tough.

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
If I bought anything from an untested herd, I'd not bring him on the place. Slaughter before you bring him home.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts