Meat Saw

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Matt NY, Nov 13, 2004.

1. Matt NY

Matt NY Well-Known Member

Can I get away with using a hack saw?

2. Fla Gal

Fla Gal Bunny Poo Monger Supporter

From my limited amout of butchering years ago, I can say, yes... you can get away with using a hacksaw but, you'll need a lot of elbow grease and a lot of turning the meat to be able to saw through it completely. That's a lot of sawing with such a short blade and a small amount of space between the blade and the top part of the saw.

If you plan on butchering every year you might consider a saw like this.
    http://www.lehmans.com/jump.jsp?itemType=PRODUCT&iProductID=928

3. Matt NY

Thanks, I have been looking, but most seemed kind of high. This one looks reasonable. A surprise as Lehmans always struck me as on the high side.

4. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

Matt, I process all of our meat and I actually find very little use for a saw other than cutting of the legs off. Meat stores easier without the bone to contend with since it reduces the space in the freezer. My China made saw broke across the back beam portion and now I use a battery operated recip saw from a pawnshop for the task. I just buy a long flooring type blade and use it in the recip. You will need a blade with approximately 12 to 14 teeth per inch. Using the recip saw gives me a tool that is useful for other tasks also.

5. Bob_W_in_NM

Bob_W_in_NM Well-Known Member

Check out Harbor Freight (www.harborfreight.com) I think I saw a meat saw the other day on there. Might not be the best quality, but could be fine for the occasional user.

6. BobK

BobK Well-Known Member

For me a god meat saw is essential. We cut our own meat and I really like a bone in pork chop. There is something about gnawing on that bone I can't give up. Maybe its just to tease the dog...;-)

If you do buy a saw make sure you get one that is long enough. Too short of a throw I have found makes cutting a bit of a pain. Especially when breaking down into prime cuts.

Outside of that I have known people to use hacksaws, sawzalls, and one even tried his woodcutting band saw. That last venture did not work out that well at all!

7. tinknal

tinknal Well-Known Member Supporter

One note of caution here, a blade not specifically made for food service could have some kind of nastys in the paint or coating. I would remove the paint and clean thouroughly before using.

8. shadowwalker

shadowwalker Well-Known Member

Matt, I use a regular carpenters hand saw about 1 1/2 feet long, I think it's called a sharktooth saw or some such. I only use the saw for this and clean it good after each use. I store it with wax paper around it and keep it dry. The grease form the butchering deeeps the blade from rusting.
    And again you really shouldn't put up big game meat with the bone in, or fat on the meat, it will taint it.Also I have had hair taint the meat, if you miss a blob of somewhere, but I cut it out before I cook it. If you make "Deerburger" I use beef suet from the super market or butchering house. shadowwalker

9. Matt NY

I will be using this for pork mostly. How long is "long enough?"