meat processors

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Unregistere, Jan 25, 2005.

1. Unregistere

Unregistere Guest

Anyone know the legality of making a you rent-meat processing business, to charge per animal, and just supply the equipment?

2. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

I may be against the law to transport meat that isn't Gov. inspected. That would prevent the people from taking it home legaly.
    Put it on wheels and let them do it at their house, and they can get rid of the mess.

3. MichelleB

MichelleB Well-Known Member

I'd also like to know...and I'll up the ante. How many of you would use such a facility?

Do google searches on mobile meat processing units and Washington State. There's some interesting info there.

4. fin29

fin29 Well-Known Member

It's a matter of state inspection, at least in my state. What you're talking about would be technically a co-op. The question is whether or not you would have employees running the equipment and whether or not an inspector would be on-site. Unless there were a state inspector at the site during slaughter, the meat would not be saleable in stores. I would be able to take them home as "custom slaughter," meaning they were indended solely for my family's consumption. The bags would be tagged "Custom Slaughter, Not For Sale." So sure, that would be an idea for people raising meat for their own use, but it wouldn't be a go for people planning to sell the meat. I'm afraid that it would be hard to justify the cost of the equipment if you didn't have enough people using it. Now as far as transporting, you cannot cross state lines unless your animal has been inspected by the USDA.

I would be concerned abut insurance letting random people handle a captive bolt or a stun knife...or a plucker or scalder for that matter.

The mobile processing unit is only a viable option if your state will license the unit. At least here in Maine, they won't even look at one unless there is an adequate greywater system on the unit to remove ALL processing water (you're talking 5 gallons per bird minimum :eek: ) and adequate disposal into an approved wastewater treatment area. All offal needs to be dispose of in an "approved manner," so you're talking a pretty significant composting business you'll be required to run on the side. Furthermore, all water used in the processing has to be tested by the state, and I don't know many chicken farmers on town water--so all your customers would have to pay for a yearly potability test. So it seems like the regulations make the idea impossible, wonder of wonders...

5. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

I remember reading something of the sort on the pastured poultry site a while back. Might check there.