Meat goats

Discussion in 'Goats' started by WifeofRiley, Oct 10, 2005.

1. WifeofRiley

WifeofRiley New Member

Greetings, I'm new here so here is an introduction, posted similarly in the poultry topic. I live in Hot Springs, Arkansas on 14 glorious acres. Most of it needs to be cleared but I have about 3 acres for grazing, a small pond, a network of creeks and an empty barn. There is a fenced corral area that is heavily overgrown with all kinds of things. The husband and I have been discussing raising some goats for personal use, and maybe selling a little bit of meat. Any advice or imput would be appreciated, look forward to chatting with you all.

2. Goat Freak

Goat Freak Slave To Many Animals

Boers are good for meat, they are actually breed for it, and they are not very picky about what they eat. Also in my own personal experience, they are SUCH sweethearts, our herd queen actually lets people hang on her neck.

3. WifeofRiley

WifeofRiley New Member

The husband actually thought about raising Boer goats for profit. What is a reasonable expectation given the amount of land we have available?

4. 6e

6e Farm lovin wife Supporter

We have only 1 acre fenced in at the moment and we have 4 goats on it, but we rotate it. When the grass is growing we open up different parts and close them off as the goats graze it down.
    In my opinion, and this is only my opinion, you can keep very few animals on a lot of land and still have it grazed down to nothing if you leave them on it when the grass is not growing and you can also have a lot of animals on a small area and keep them going by intense rotational grazing.
    Good luck and I hope you enjoy goats as much as we have!