meat goats and alfalfa pellets

Discussion in 'Goats' started by okiemom, Sep 17, 2005.

1. okiemom

okiemom Well-Known Member

What is everyones idea on feeding alfalfa pellets to meat goats? Currently When there is good forage we let them forage for all their food. They look good. They might grow slightly slower but their feed cost is lower.

We are selling goats at $1.25/lb. I am trying to see if it is better to feed alfalfa or let them graze for free during the summer. Fall they will be sold before we have to feed. Winter we feed the does and kids goat rations and alfalfa hay (not free choice).

We have never given alfalfa pellets free choice to the kid goats. Would it make a difference that would pay for itself?

2. elgordo

elgordo Well-Known Member

I don't know if it would pay out for you, but I wonder what size pellets you get there. I've had trouble with both sheep and goats choking on alfalfa pellets unless they were soaked first. Both of them loved the pellets, but I couldn't take time to soak so I switched to cob and peas which they'll do anything for! Best wishes!

3. okiemom

okiemom Well-Known Member

Hi,

the pellets are the very small pellets not the cubes or cattle pellets. 1/4 " I believe???? I have not had any problems..maybe I should say yet?

How do you soak the pellets?

I know COB is corn, oats and barley but I have not seen it sold around here. There is horse and all grain sweet feed. is COB a special mix? is it in equal amounts 33%33%33%?

What peas are you feeding and how do you feed them? How much? we are looking into planting some peas for forage. any ideas?