Meat eating thread drift

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Wendy, Aug 2, 2006.

1. Wendy

Wendy Well-Known Member

Thought I'd start another thread so it wouldn't get too off track on the other one. Might be too late already.

Anyway, the point someone made was if people ate less meat, then big breeders would just breed less animals. I happened to think, is everyone also willing to give up milk & all dairy products? You can not have milk & dairy products unless the cows & goats are bred. Then what would be done with the excess offspring? Just curious as to what others think about going without dairy products too.

2. Farmer Willy

Farmer Willy Well-Known Member Supporter

Well I for one love your burgers, especially the junior bacon and really like having cheese on them. Also, since I work 2nd shift I appreciate you keeping them open late at night. You really do rule the night.

3. Wendy

Wendy Well-Known Member

Thanks! I always thought I should get a discount. My name is Wendy & I do have red hair too. I could even put it in pig tails if they would give me a discount for it. :D

4. arabian knight

arabian knight Miniature Horse lover Supporter

I raise my own beef make it Nice and tame and name the steers also the one I have now is called Top Sirloin, And I drink milk by the Gal~! My favorite time at the Minn State is Fair is going to the booth where you can drink ALL the milk you want for 50 cents~! And I make sure i get my monies worth :)

5. Pony

Pony STILL not Alice Supporter

Yeah, but can you drink a gallon in an hour? ;)

If I HAD to give up dairy, I could do it. Would I LIKE it, well, no, not really.

OTOH, when we were at the WI State Fair last year, we learned that calves are taken from their mothers at birth and immediately put on bottles. The reason is that the cows are bred to give SO much milk that they'd drown the calves, even with colustrum!!

THAT is wrong. :( And the more I think about that, I want to stop buying factory milk. Don't have any local raw milk sales, though, and a four-hour round trip is an awful expense for milk.

Pony!

6. tinknal

tinknal Well-Known Member Supporter

I hope you are stopping at Sweet Martha's and buying a bucket first...........

7. tinknal

tinknal Well-Known Member Supporter

Only a portion of the meat in production comes from dairy animals. Most comes from animals bred for meat production.

8. Wendy

Wendy Well-Known Member

I know, but my point is, even if everyone stopped eating meat, you would still have to breed to get dairy products. Some vegetarians still drink milk & eat dairy products. And the offspring from the breedings would have to go somewhere.

9. arabian knight

arabian knight Miniature Horse lover Supporter

10. Wendy

Wendy Well-Known Member

Wish I could find some bottle calves around here. My brother works for a dairy, but he keeps all the calves for himself. He is bottle feeding 8 of them right now. I wonder if he would miss one?? :D

11. Lizza

Lizza Well-Known Member Supporter

We have vegetarian friends that want a dairy cow. We've have hedged around the issue with them and I'm not sure what they are going to do about the babies.

Personally I eat meat and dairy and have no problems eating the offspring.

12. Jerngen

Jerngen Perpetually curious! Supporter

I guess I was under the misconception that the cow only had to be bred once and then as long as you kept on milking she wouldn't dry up?? Or is that goats? Or am I just a total ignoramous when it comes to milk??? Probably so...........

13. dezeeuwgoats

dezeeuwgoats Well-Known Member

Jerngen - don't know about cows, but some goat genetics have been developed for long lactations - milking them through two, at most three years between breedings. Two is more likely though.

I've spoken to vegetarians who are very self-righteous about their decision to not eat meat due to the suffering of the animals, only to find out that they purchase thier eggs, or dairy products from the grocery stores..... :shrug: That seems either hypocritical or ignorant to me.

My goal is to eventually avoid all factory farmed products. I'd like to support the local small farmers or grow it myself. I don't have a problem with eating meat. Less meat would be good too. In fact, I think since we started producing our own - we are less wasteful, and eat meat less - to stretch our meat supplies further. I don't know for sure - since I never figured out how many pounds of meat we ate from the store, before we started this.

Niki

14. Micahn

Micahn Well-Known Member

I am one of them strange people that eat more meat then anything else. I eat very few vegetable. Meat and potatoes that is me :)
    I do not even like all meats, Beef and pork and poultry only no fish and stuff.

15. Jerngen

Jerngen Perpetually curious! Supporter

I'm the polar opposite. I rarely eat meat and follow the vegetarian lifestyle most of the time. Not out of ethics but simply because I don't like meat! However when I am a invited guest in someones home I usually eat what is served. I can probably count on my hands the number of times I've eaten red meat or pork in the last year. Occasionaly I'll prepare poultry, shrimp, or fish at home. Not very often tho. I also don't like milk but love cheese!

16. ponyboy123

ponyboy123 Well-Known Member

MMMMMM, meat. I eat pounds of meat a day. Red meat is my staple. I enjoy the fact that I support local farmers through my purchases of meat and dairy. I know a few veggies round here and have no problem with their lifestyle unless they start running me down for eating meat. Seems like veggies really need to pay attention to their diet to make sure they get proper iron and protien levels, that not a problem for me. As far as the large scale farm factories, I leave those products for the city folks who don't know any better.

17. Terri

Terri Singletree & Weight Loss & Permaculture Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Jerngen, the amount of mild that a cow produces gradually gets smaller after she gives birth. If she is not bred, gradually her milk production would drop to insignificant.

Since milk and calves are both valuable, she is usually bred yearly.

18. Pony

Pony STILL not Alice Supporter

You know, thinking about it more, there's probably nothing wrong with it at all... It just bothered me that the calf would die if it fed from the cow...

I guess I was just humanizing the relationship there. :shrug:

Pony!

19. Rita

Rita Well-Known Member Supporter

Calves will only drink until they are full if they know they can go to the "milk bar" anytime they want. Calves are more apt to get sick/scour when they are fed milk replacer from a bottle twice a day because they are so hungry and gobble the milk down and overfills one of their stomachs and goes into another where the milk shouldn't go. I think the person thought he had a good story there.

20. Lizza

Lizza Well-Known Member Supporter

Don't forget there are some people (like us) that only milk once a day. We find it easier all around on us and the animals.

Of course we only have milk goats right now but will (hopefully) be adding milk cows as well. We only plan to milk the cows once a day as wellthough and leave the baby with her all day and then separate at night. This is what we do with the goats and Backwoods or Countryside just ran an article about milking a cow this way too.