Meat casings

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by cwgrl23, Dec 20, 2005.

1. cwgrl23

cwgrl23 Chief Vegtable Grower :) Supporter

Here is a question for those of you who do your own meat processing. Where do you get your casings from? My folks are trying to make hotdogs and the casings keep shredding. :bash: Any catalogs that you love to drool over?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!! :D

2. Fire-Man

Fire-Man Well-Known Member Supporter

Most all of my local meat processing places have casing's that they sell by the box. Never checked to see if I could fine their source or a cheaper source. Good Luck. Randy

3. cwgrl23

None of the local meat lockers will share their "secrets" as to were they get their supplies. :bash: It is not like my folks are trying to put them out of business. They just want to make some for the family.

4. BobK

BobK Well-Known Member

Butcher Packer is one source...a quick google search for sausage making supplies should get you several other sources....

5. Fire-Man

Fire-Man Well-Known Member Supporter

They should be willing to sell you a box of casings. I just called my closest meat locker a few weeks back-----said they has plenty in stock, but would sell only in full boxes----------------I am sure they are not going to give you valuable info-------If they don't have a box of casings for sell--see if they will order them for you------or check in the next town at a another processing plant. Good Luck!! Randy

6. unioncreek

unioncreek Well-Known Member Supporter

You can try this link, they are in Spokane WA. http://www.michlitch.com/sausage_seasonings.php This is where I buy all my sausage making supplies, I live about 60 miles away and ususally buy when I get up there if I plan far enough ahead.

Bobg

7. Snakeoil

Snakeoil Well-Known Member

8. bretthunting

bretthunting Well-Known Member

9. Paquebot

Paquebot Well-Known Member

10. Charleen

Charleen www.HarperHillFarm.com Supporter

11. djuhnke

djuhnke Well-Known Member

http://www.excaliburseasoning.com/

This is where the big guys have their seasonings made. They will do a custom blend for you as well as you can buy their "house" product.

12. fin29

fin29 Well-Known Member

13. Tracy

Tracy Well-Known Member

14. coydog

coydog Well-Known Member

I buy mine at the meat counter of a local grocery store. They sell them by the pound.

15. cwgrl23

Thank you for all your suggestions! I will be checking them all out! The local meat lockers will not even sell you any of their casings. They want you to bring them the meat to process.

As my folks are doing 3 cows, 6 deer and a few pigs - they need a ton of casings. They looked at the ones at Cabella's but they were too expensive for the amount they need. This is a project they have taken on to keep Grandpa's receipes alive and well in the family's hearts, minds and stomachs :baby04:

Thank you again for the websites and am always willing to look at a few more if anyone else thinks of any :sing:

16. I agree with you cwgrl23, most of these sites mentioned are the middle man for reselling the casings. I would like to cut them out and get directly from the maker if I could find out who makes them. I've been doing a few sausage orders for other people but by the time I pay for these high prices of the middleman I have to charge higher then what the local processers are charging to stuff sausage. But I can't find any information of where they are getting the casings thereselves.

17. Paquebot

Paquebot Well-Known Member

r.h., do you really want to know where the bulk of our casings come from? Hog casings come from China, sheep from Australia and New Zealand. There are wholesale companies which deal only with butchers. We had such a business in the city where I live. However, minimum was like enough to do a ton or so! If you get on the mailing list of Sausage Maker, they'll sometimes have summer over-stock specials at about half price. Last time that I took advantage of that, ordered enough hog casings to indeed handle probably 1,000 pounds as I couldn't turn down the price. If properly salted and packaged, they'll last forever in the fridge. I'm still using sheep casings that I got in a good deal in the mid-'90s.

Martin

18. Thanks Martin, I'll have to check into that. That's kind of what I figured, I would have to order cases and cases. Right now I'm not doing a whole lot of sausage but I hope to be back in the deer processing business in another year or two. How cheap I can do the sausage can determine how many sausage customers I get.