Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7,798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just canned my first two turkeys this last week or so...all the quart jars sealed except two, and I'm not sure how to try again. Do I use new lids and reprocess them for 90 mins at 15 psi? I have them in the fridge for now, until I figure out what to do.

I could just freeze the meat, but I canned it in seasoned broth and hate to lose that part.

Help!

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
4,951 Posts
My mother always said just use that meat for meals now, then you don't have to worry about safety/sealing problems.

But if you do want to try it again, yes, new lid and make sure perfectly clean top of the jar, and reheat exactly like you did before. There's no shortcuts.

Good luck! Canned meat is delicious!

Jennifer

·
Premium Member
10,357 Posts
Yes, you can them again just like before. Make sure you place the cold jars from the fridge into cold water and slowly heat them up - otherwise you will end up with broken jars. Check the jars for chips and the new lids for complete sealing compound, and check the old lids to see if there was food trapped between the sealing compound and the jar, or thin areas in the sealing compound itself. Make sure your lids are well screwed down.

You can freeze the meat in the broth - no need to lose it. Or you could just serve it up now. :)

·
Registered
7,798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the advice....I think I'll just re-process them since we've eaten a lot of turkey lately.

I was afraid that another 90 mins in the pressure canner would turn the meat into mush.

There was some broth/fat in the canning water when I opened it, so I knew at least one of them hadn't sealed. I'm very new at canning meat, so I appreciate the help!

·
Premium Member
5,938 Posts
Sometimes it is just that one jar was a little more full, boiled out the juice and the lid didn't seal. You can warm them up slowly, after following the recommended steps with new lids, wiping down the jars and checking for food or chips, etc. Should work fine. Meat is pretty solid, so it will be ok, if nothing else, you'll have nice, meaty gravy to go over noodles, bread, potatoes, etc. Jan in Co--who is canning deer as we speak.

·
Premium Member
1,594 Posts
When I am washing canning jars I run a finger around the lip of the jar to check for tiny nicks in the glass. It seems to reveal more than just a quick look, especially with older jars.

·
Registered
7,798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks again, everyone! As I type this, I can hear the pressure canner rocking. I didn't find any chips, and the lids looked perfect, but I replaced them anyway. Wiped the jar lips really well and we'll see how this time works.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts