Mean Ram - Kill or sell?

Discussion in 'Sheep' started by Shannonmcmom, Jun 1, 2006.

1. Shannonmcmom

Shannonmcmom Well-Known Member

Hello,

I have a ram who has become very aggressive. I will not even go into the pen to check on my other sheep because he is nasty. Should we sell him or slaughter him? He was a good producer, all of the ewes had twins from him, but I am not sure it is fair to sell such an aggressive ram. Any suggestions would be helpful... If we do kill him could we eat him? Just wondering if the coyotes will be getting fatter around here or we will?

Thank you,
    Shannon

2. MorrisonCorner

MorrisonCorner Mansfield, VT for 200 yrs

I culled. When my ram started charging me airborne (with a full rack of horns) into the freezer he went. I don't care that it was breeding season.. airborne isn't safe. I've noticed that his male offspring all carry this quirk. I get one breeding season out of them and at the end of the season they're so aggressive I'm not comfortable with them, and into the freezer they go. The meat tastes slightly stronger but not inedibly so.

Next year will be the fourth diluted generation from these lines. I've been breeding his female offspring to a particularly mellow polled ram to see if I can keep the characteristics we liked Charlie for (fleece and color) and lose what we didn't like: hyperdrive.

3. Somerhill

Somerhill Well-Known Member

Unless you are looking for a lawsuit - kill.
    An elderly couple here in Ohio were killed recently by a Suffolk ram. Would you want that on your conscience? ??
    Or take him to the sale barn and make sure they mark your paperwork slaughter only, and warn the people who are working there that he is aggressive.
    There are plenty of good, productive rams that are not dangerous.
    Sausage or smoked lamb is good. :) :)

Lisa at Somerhill
    www.somerhillfarm.com

4. Jen H

Jen H Well-Known Member

I'd send him off to freezer camp. I don't tolerate animals that attack me, and I can't in good consience sell an animal that has proven itself dangerous.

Lamburgers are tasty, and older sheep do well with a nice long soak in soy sauce and balsamic vinegar.

5. Siryet

Siryet In Remembrance

We just had ours butchered and made into the greatest sausage and stew meat. He was two yrs old but was a hair sheep so he still had that lamb taste.

Really is it worth a permanent injury just to have a particular ram? :shrug: We are now raising up a new ram for the flock.

6. fordson major

fordson major construction and Garden b Supporter

they make really good peperettes!! had my spine rearrange by a ram 3 years ago, still hurts at times. any ram can be dangerous, agresive is a one way trip to freezer camp.

7. kirsten

kirsten Well-Known Member

Sell him at the sale barn for slaughter or just tell them there that he is a meany. Might as well get some money for him and you never know a braver, more experienced shepherd with better handling facilities may choose to give him another chance. And that would be his business since you told him.

8. bob clark

bob clark A man's man

temperment is one of the highest heritable traits in most livestock.slaughter him and keep none of the offsping as replacments

9. heritagefarmer

heritagefarmer Belties are Best!

Lamburgers and mince will do it.
    Plenty of chilli, lasagne etc eaten in our house. Only thing we didn't eat was a 200# billy goat. Too strong in flavor. he got the bullet and then got put in a FBH in the woods

10. primroselane

primroselane Well-Known Member

Every male wants to be the Alpha male. When a male finds an action that dominates others it is empowering. The male is rewarded by chasing away that which creates fear. (People are fearful things until they driven away).

If I needed a ram, I would have no problem buying yours. I would appreciate knowing where he was with temperment and disposition. Just so I could keep others from possible injury.

11. susieM

susieM Well-Known Member

Eat him. Gigot de Mouton, medium rare, with flageolet beans. Mutton chops. Spicey Merguez sausages. Stew with barley and root vegetables. Crispy breast strips. Curry. Moussaka.

12. Ronney

Ronney Well-Known Member

Shannon, I pretty much agree with Primrose. Your ram is being a ram and taking care of his territory. He should be accorded respect not the dinner plate. Anyway he would probably make lousy eating unless you were going to make sausages out of him.

I've had many rams over the years and few of them have been quiet fuzzy wuzzies - and those that were I didn't trust. They were the ones that could suddenly have a dose of the hissy fits and send you sprawling.

My rams are kept in a side paddock with a couple of pet wethers. The paddock has no through traffic but is close enough to the cowshed that the animals are used to people, noise and comings and goings. I have no problems moving them, drenching or trimming feet.

I too would purchase your ram.

Cheers,
    Ronnie

13. John Hill

John Hill Grand Master

If you decide to keep your ram you could try a leather 'blinder'. This fits over his head and restricts his vision when he puts his head down.

14. Shannonmcmom

I realize that he is just being a ram, but I have 5 children who like to go into the fields. The older ones know that "Ogre" could get them and they usually don't go in there. It is my daughter who is 3 and my youngest who is almost 2 that have no fear and can scale just about any fence. Is it worth the safety of my kids to have a ram that is aggressive?

I am pregnant and I will not go into the pen because I have no desire to get rammed when I am trying to shear the other sheep or trim their hooves. We have all of our sheep together.

He is a nice looking animal and he is a good stud. I just don't want him around my family. Also there have been times when someone has left the gate open and we have the sheep in our yard. As I progress in my pregnancy and became that much less agile how am I supposed to get him back in the pen? My kids are 8, 7 5, 3, and almost 2. He has already rammed my 2 sons who are 8 and 5.

Shannon

15. crystalniche

crystalniche Well-Known Member

With your children at risk I would either eat him or find him another home. It isn't worth it trying to keep him. We knew someone who had 2-3 sheep and their ram didn't like dogs. He'd pin a dog of any size right to the ground and hold him there for a few seconds. Dogs rarely went into his pen after a time or two of that behavior. She told me they were getting rid of the sheep, we were having problems with a Pit getting into out duck pen and killing ducks for the fun of it. I begged her to sell me that ram for that reason but she had him killed anyway. I stood there and watched as that ram pinned a Rottie! He was big and did not like dogs. Ok with people tho.

16. heritagefarmer

heritagefarmer Belties are Best!

If you really wan to keep him, get one of those dog collars with a remote control so you can 'zap' him when he acts up.
    He'll soon stop

17. ShortSheep

ShortSheep Well-Known Member

Shannon, just a note...

I don't blame you for removing an animal from your property that you are uncomfortable with. My concern is that you will replace him with a "nice" ram, one that you feel safe allowing your children to go out in the field with. Any ram, even the sweet ones, can turn at any time. There is always a first time for a ram to charge someone. Some of these guys wait until they are around the two year old mark before they get aggressive with people. Then they suprise you.
    I just don't want to see you or your kids getting hurt by a "sweet" and "friendly" replacement ram. You might be better off getting a ram lamb for the breeding season, then shipping him afterwards, rather than try to manage a ram year round. Good luck with whatever you choose. :)

Juli

18. Shannonmcmom

Everyone brings up good points... I think that we will sell him. I will make sure to let whoever buys him know that he can get aggressive. I will just get a ram for breeding and than get rid of him. Kids don't always listen and I really wouldn't be to happy if they got hurt by a supposed friendly ram....

So what is a good age to get a ram for breeding?

Shannon