Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are renting a Nubian buck since our two didn't survive the winter and this fella is a piece of work. When we got him he was skiddish but he has quickly become comfortable enough to show his hiney.

I'm having to keep him separate from the does unless it's clear his services are needed immediately because he pushes them around! He chases them, runs them off, he GROWLS at them and blows raspberries. He is not the gentleman I thought he was when he first arrived. Luckily he knows his antics won't fly with me; he puts his head down when I come near but walks sideways in the opposite direction.

He's quite a booger. I guess we've been lucky that the other bucks we've had had good manners. I'm beyond ready to take him back to his house - even if he is beautiful.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
From what I gather their upbringing makes a huge difference. Our rent-a-buck is coming on Saturday, and I take comfort in the fact that he's pretty afraid of people (but knows people sometimes have BREAD GLORIOUS BREAD). Hopefully he will be ok. And hopefully your buck will get his job done efficiently so he can GO HOME! :D

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah ! He sticks his tongue out and wiggles it and spits like "nanner nanner nanner". It's so odd.

When we picked him up he was in a pen alone so I don't think he gets much interaction. :(
He has put on weight since we brought him over, though. When we got hi he looked so skinny ! Or maybe my girls are just plump; after last winter I've been feeding them *well* !!

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
:grin:
Next time he does it, look him in the eye and do a few back at him. :grin: Report back how it goes.

Well I'm no goat but if a huge stinky buck ever growls at me or pushes me away from the feed bucket - he's *definitely* not getting any nookie. I might tolerate a raspberry or two, maaaaaybe even a growl, but NOT stealing the grub !

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Ok so the rent a buck is at my house now and goat courting behavior is *hilarious.* :D They are not nearly as unpleasant to have around as I had been led to believe. The stink isn't even as bad as I'd though - it's not fun to be in an enclosed space with him, but I can't smell him at all from the house.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts