Mean Momma

Discussion in 'Goats' started by TexasArtist, Dec 26, 2005.

1. TexasArtist

TexasArtist Well-Known Member

We have a a goat that dropped a beautiful baby girl today at about 4:30 this afternoon. This is her second birthing but for some reason she has decided to be a bit mean to this one. Belle (baby) is trying to eat and momma will let her for a few minutes but then she has hit the baby with her horns. Why the heck would she do this. She didn't do it with her first two babies. She got a nice bucket of feed and also some hay.
    Thanks for any help :help:

2. crazygoatgirl

crazygoatgirl Well-Known Member

Usually with the second freshening a doe will have more milk and the baby sucking is stimulating her milk let down, it is making it uncomfortable because her udder is probably getting pretty tight with only one kid nursing. I would try and milk some out so she has a little relief and she may let the kid nurse more.

3. chamoisee

chamoisee Well-Known Member

After-contractions! They hurt like bloody hell, and nursing causes them, especially right after birth. Squeeze the teat plugs out of both teats, and then tie her up and make her stand still to nurse the kid. Don't hit or punish her, though- she is experiencing pain, and she's attacking the thing that's causing her pain. If you make her nurse the kid for the first day or so, the after-contractions will be over by then abnd she'll be able to bind with the baby. Once in a while a doe won't accept a kid, but not often.

Just tie her up in a corner with something nice to eat and warm molasses water to drink, hold her rear leg so she can't kick the kid off, and pet her and talk soothingly to her. It really does hurt, I know how she feels. :( BTW- the reason she didn't do it the first time is that they're hardly noticeable the first time- they become worse with each birth because the uterus is more stretched out and takes more time and pain to contract.

4. Goat Freak

Goat Freak Slave To Many Animals

I agree with all that was said above, just tie the mama up, hold her, and give her some time. Good Luck, I will be praying for you, the mama, and for the new baby. Good Luck, bye.

5. yuvgotmel

yuvgotmel Well-Known Member

please tell us how she is doing! I am interested to hear what worked.

6. Goat Freak

Goat Freak Slave To Many Animals

Yeah, how is the little one and her mama doing, I will pray for the both of them, and you. Good Luck, bye.

7. TexasArtist

TexasArtist Well-Known Member

well little Belle wound up sleeping with me for the night. Boy was it a LOOOONG night! I feed her from a bottle just like I did with her older brother a year ago because momma milk didn't drop right away. She and momma were glad to see each other in the morning and she's now running with the boys that were born a couple days before her. Belle is endlessly fascinated by the turkeys tail. Mom has stopped pushing her away and checks on belle often. Thanks for all the help and concern folks.