Mean Mama goat

Discussion in 'Goats' started by animal_kingdom, Mar 31, 2005.

1. animal_kingdom

animal_kingdom Well-Known Member

Have a mean mama goat. She will be shipped to market as soon as her baby is weaned.

Problem is that she is biting his ears. Slowly but surely his ears have been disappearing. She was a bad mother first time and this second time ensures her place in line at market.

She first rejected her babies. Then when she decided to take them back 10 days later, the price to pay is a piece of an ear. This morning he has only 1/2 of his right ear left. Fresh blood. This baby is sure traumatized.

Has anyone had this problem? IF so, what causes this aggression?

She allows him to nurse but he is now shakey due to this constant abuse.

thanks!

2. dale anne

dale anne Well-Known Member

Howdy...you should take the kidd off the mother and bottle feed it yourself if possible! if this is not an option please try and do something to stop her from eating his ears.....you can try to put a very small thin amount vasoline on his ears this may deter her....but please do something....I have never had a doe so anything of the sort[eating her kidds ears]...may i ask why you rebred her after knowing she was a bad mother to begin with?......I do not mean to sound as if I am giving you a hard time just think you need to learn a few more things before breeding again.....what do you now plan to do with this kidd if it lives?...have you gave it any shots?.....are you treating it now for possible infections?.....Milk the doe please and bottle feed or you may not have a kidd left...and if you do sell her let the new buyer beware!...or do you intend to let them know that she is no good as a mother...that any breedings to her will 100% sure need to be bottle fed hand raised kidds....Dale Anne

3. animal_kingdom

The first time this goat had a baby I thought perhaps due to being a first time mother, she had difficulty that I may have failed to address.

We gave her a second chance and that isn't working out too well.

She's a meat goat so she'll be dinner for someone.

You're not giving me a hard time. I'm okay with your concern. However, I'm not fresh and new to goats. It was just this particular goat and a fresh and new problem.

Usually if a mother doesn't take care of her kid, she just pushes it away and doesn't allow it to nurse. Seems that this goat is just plain mean.

The baby has all his shots and I am treating his wounds.

We are now bottle feeding this little one.

I only wanted to know if anyone knew what could possibly cause her aggressiveness and just down right nastiness. There is always a pecking order in the barn and some of the girls are definitely in charge. But this is none of that. In all my years, I have never seen a hateful goat mom.

Thanks.

4. Milking Mom

Milking Mom COTTON EYED DOES

Maybe you can put a muzzle on her. SHe wouldn't be able to eat while she had it on, but you could take it off of her a couple times a day, let her get her fill and then put it back on her. Once the kid is weaned this time I'd ship her too. Mean old thang!!! :mad:

5. dale anne

dale anne Well-Known Member

I am sorry if i implied that you were new to goats just that your post was so open ended!.....I also raise goats and have never ever heard nor seen any of the likes.....I know other animals will kill and eat the kidds if sickly or injured...but a goat?.....i was looking online to see if it could be a real reason but cant find nothing on the likes of this!......did read about a few does stomping the kidds or smothering.......a crazy goat that needs to be ate with hickory smoke flavor and good ole home made BBQ sauce what I think lol...good luck with the kidd...hope he makes it...I once had a dog without ears was a abuse case i adopted folks hung him to a lightpole with nails cause he nipped at a kid[was a puppy]tore his ears off...he got tons of ear infection! but otherwise did good and lived out his life to a very old age...nammed him nubs lol....good luck dale anne

6. animal_kingdom

no offense often taken with me.

I have dug all over the internet also and came across this site. I'm pretty happy about it as it covers alot of animals. We have Katahdin sheep, boer, nubian and cross goats, many breeds of chickens, guineas, mini rex rabbits and a couple of great pyrs to guard all of us!

We've never eaten a goat over a year old. This one is about 3 years old. Do you know anything about that? Maybe I should start a new thread on eating these creatures...

It is completely unbelievable to me how people treat animals. I would never want to be a child in a family like that. Who knows what they might have done to me...!

Nubs...I know a man nicknamed that...always was curious as to why he was named that....