Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A number of friends are involved with the local "Meals on Wheels", low cost delivered meals to the elderly, shut in's, disabled etc.

I was reading about their "emergency" boxes in case they can't get to you.
I was curious as to the contents.

Haven't found the contents yet, but did find their list for a "Go Bag"
Kind of intresting especially the id papers etc.

http://www.co.kenosha.wi.us/dhs/Divisions/Aging/EmergencyPrepare/GoBagList.pdf

G

·
I deliver Meals on Wheels, and we periodically have to deliver the emergency rations in addition to the regular meals.

Contents vary, but generally they have something like an aseptic box or small plastic bottle of juice (6 or 8 oz.), a small can of soup (8 oz or so) with the pull tab top, a small packet of crackers or grahams, and maybe a fruit cup.

·
Premium Member
6,016 Posts
Do they provide a devise to open the pull tab soup can? My arthritic hands require assistance. I usually use a screw driver to lift the tab followed by pliers to pull it.

G

·
Where I live (SC) there is this misnomer that Meals-On-Wheels is free, to the elderly.

Turns out, you have to pay for it (if I understand that right).

Am I correct on that where you live?

The requested donation is $2.50 per meal, but nobody is turned down if they can't pay.

·
Registered
428 Posts
I bought a hook deal for opening pull tabs. But I run the can opener around cans first. No, not on meal on wheels but my sister in Denver was and I think then they just gave her some extra meals frozen in case they could not come. That was back in early 90's. I have jar wrenches and such too to use. Yes, I to have to use things to make it easier to open things. I think for me at least I should have yhings in the kitchen to use. Here meals come from the senior dinner I presume and they run $2.50 or so. I do not go as I can eat cheaper at home.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
My dad and grandmother both received meals on wheels.

On Fridays to prepare them for the weekend they would get two frozen dinners and for storm threats (hurricanes here) they would get a bag with the items ladycat described along with a bottle of water. For Christmas they also got a a small stocking with some treats in it and some extra fresh fruit.

I think the requested donation was $2.50, but my dad and GM were both on some kind of program that paid for it. My dad didn't mind the meals too much, my GM didn't get the meals long, she didn't like the food.

·
Registered
4,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Meals on Wheels here are $3.50 (cold, sandwitch type) $4.50 (hot) delivered.

There has been mixed reviews on this service, but from what I can gather for my friends, that a lot of the customers just enjoy having someone stop and see them.

G

·
My dad didn't mind the meals too much, my GM didn't get the meals long, she didn't like the food.
The food at ours is pretty decent.

A group of church ladies go every night (to the Sr Citizen's kitchen where the meals are made) and cook the food, more-or-less from scratch.

Volunteers can eat for free, so we do, on Tuesdays when we deliver. Most meals are very good!

·
Registered
3,329 Posts
Here we just ask for a donation, since most of our food items are donated and the local gas station donates the fuel as long as we keep accurate logs (detailed like you wouldn't believe).

Every other Saturday we also hold the Experience Breakfast, where anyone who knows a skill that other may want to learn can come, eat breakfast and lunch for free and teach, talk, show their skill.

We get a lot of older people who love spending time with others and it helps learn those "forgotten" skills. Over the summer we had "Canning Class" with Mrs. Jackie (85 years old) and Mrs Ruby (I don't know how old) and then gave them everything that we canned. You hould have seen them, they were so proud.

Hubby usually drives every other day with Daughter (he is Stay at home Dad) and it is really fun for him and Jasmine. We deliver around 20 meals to 25 per day.

·
Premium Member
6,016 Posts
Food for our meals on wheels is cooked at nursing home. I assume its the same or nearly same as residents get which is high quality at the moment. Delivery is by volunteers from churches. Each church takes a month in rotation. We no longer go to church in town so no longer participate. Our community also has congregate meals M-F at Senior Center and delivered to 2 Senior complexes. Meals were very good when I used to help with them but that was many years ago. I work out of town so am never around to enjoy (hey I'm a senior) the meals.

Where my mom lives meals on wheels are delivered from 20 miles away and their congregate meals are just on Thursdays. A neighboring town has congregate meals a different day of the week and a number of people travel to both sites. I think the social aspect is as important as the food.

·
Premium Member
2,448 Posts
Meals from Meals on Wheels in NJ where my mother is, cost 7.50 each. It is beyond many people's grasp, even in that affluent area. ldc

1 - 14 of 14 Posts