Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been fighting Meal Moths this summer-and guess where I found the infestation? In my Garlic!! I had a few bulbs in my pantry that had them, so I went out to the open shed where they were stored in mesh bags. I lost EVERY bulb to moths!! The few that I found good went into the garden, where they have since came up. How DO you store your garlic??

·
Master Of My Domain
7,220 Posts
i lost lots of garlic to moths, too. as an experiment, i sat one bulb on a scale and watched it lose weight while it dried out. it lost a lot of weight for a long period of time and i finally figured out why when i tore it apart to plant the cloves. half of it was eaten, lol. dadgum bugs anyhow.

·
Registered
10,077 Posts
I've had the same experience with garlic stored indoors for any longer period of time.
I hang my garlic plants outside, under a porch roof, for a month or so to cure, then store them in the cellar with the potatoes. I've yet to have meal worm damage in the cellar-stored garlic.
I suppose one might cure the cloves then set a jar of them outside to freeze for a week or two ?
I'll be interested to hear other's responses to this as well.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts