Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We were a garage sale today and they are selling a Knox Meal Master Wood Cookstove....appears to be in great shape, however, an online search is turning up very little info on this stove and the companies website is down! We need to make a decision quite quickly....they want $385 for it...anyone have any experience or heard anything about this stove??
thanks!

·
Registered
6,977 Posts
I've got friends that cook on them every day. I've got one in my kitchen but it's not hooked up. I believe you can still buy them new along with parts for old ones. They made 2 models, one had a water tank on the right side and the other didn't.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the link, I called that guy but he transferred me to the parts dept and then I got a voicemail...

Beeman,
So I am taking it that the stove works well? How much of the room does it heat?? Any other info you could tell me would be great, we are going into this blind never having had cooked on a woodstove before. Its $385 which is a bit of money for us and I am wavering between spending that or just saving to buy one of the newer cookstoves (but they are about two grand!!) so if this is a decent comparable stove I am thinking I should get it. Last day of sale today!!

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
offer them 250- cash and carry......they are a hard sell because they are so heavy to move.........its worth probably 650.00 if you can find the right person to sell it to.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, I just got back from there, I tried to get her to go down on the price, offered her $300, but she is standing firm. Had another lady interested in it, but she won't have the money for a few weeks. I took her number, and am still undecided on it, prolly decide by tommorrow. Its just a chunk of change for us right now, and never having cooked on a woodstove I just have no idea what I am looking at.

·
Registered
278 Posts
We have a meal master and love it. Ours is from the 1930s and paid $100 for it. It is in great shape and have used it for two years now. The price they are asking is about what its worth. They are easy to use and are alot easier to keep clean on the outside than some of the stoves that are all cast iron. We also use it as our major heat sourse in the winter and it really can kick out the heat. Alot of the newer stoves are made of steel and you have to keep the oven open to use it for heat. The only thing I don't care for is that the oven is smaller than my propane stove so full size cookie sheets don't fit and the Thanksgiving bird is usually to big to go in it. Baked goods and bread bakes beautifully in it. If you don't hear from anyone at the company, don't fret. Using one is basic and there is enough info out there (even here at homesteading today) to learn how to use it. I hope you can buy it. It is definetly worth it. Good Luck

·
Registered
6,977 Posts
They work quite well but take experience to master, they will heat up the kitchen pretty good but have a small firebox. My friends cook on them year round so in the summer they'll run you out of the house. They can be adapted to heat your household hot water if you get the larher one. The large one has a tank on the rt. side which hot water can be dipped out of or you can get a coil that goes there for your hot water. This isn't going to take the place of a whole house wood stove.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts