Me vs. the Multiflora

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by countrygrrrl, Mar 19, 2004.

1. countrygrrrl

countrygrrrl PITA

I'm working on cleaning out the hollow below, and have discovered what I am certain is the largest multiflora in the entire history of the world. :no:

I've clipped off a bunch of it and have put some brush-b-gone on it, but it is so huge that I'm not even halfway through its root system. :no:

Do I need to give up and just call in a bulldozer to kill this thing off? It's a monster. It's HUGE.

Or will conventional methods (eg, the brush-b-gone) work over time?

It's got to go, it's taking up one entire entrance way to what will be a very pleasant hollow someday. :no:

2. Jena

Jena Well-Known Member

Use Crossbow on it, let it die, set it on fire, then bring a chain and a shovel. Dig up enough to get the chain around the root, pull it out with a truck, tractor, ATV.

Then...keep an eye on the spot for new shoots to come up. Spray them with Crossbow, let them die, pull up the roots. You don't need to burn little ones. I only burn the huge ones because I can't get into the middle of them to get the root without losing half my skin.

Jena

3. countrygrrrl

countrygrrrl PITA

:D Excellent. THANK YOU!

I just went and whopped on it a bit more - I'm 5'2" and its width is more than twice my length. There are countless separate plants coming out of the same root system. And I've only been able to tackle the front of it - I have no idea yet how far back it goes.

:no: I thought I'd seen big multifloras before but uh uh, I hadn't. :no:

I'm on the hunt now for Crossbow! :yeeha:

4. Ducks limited

Ducks limited Member

I used a "bush-hog" on a multiflora about the size of yours . It did a good job and the debris was all shredded. Instead of driving forward I backed over the bush SLOWLY and let the mower do the work. Takes 3 or 4 passes but mine was completely eliminated and did not grow back. Hope you have, or can locate, one of these mowers.

5. countrygrrrl

countrygrrrl PITA

The Mother of All Multifloras :no: is unfortunately located in a very steep valley. A small tractor can get down there safely, but not one person who's brush hogged this place has dared get on those slopes. And I don't blame them and I don't want them to. :no:

Still, it's good to know that. There's other ways to whack at these things. :D It's had a major whacking today and a mess of Brush-B-Gone. It's fixing to get more whacking over the next week or so, and Crossbow. Then ... I'm burning it down! :D

Once I get it out, and get rid of the giant poison ivy vines :rolleyes: and billions of small weed trees :no: , it will be a gorgeous little hollow. It's filled with dogwoods and redbuds and hickories and passion flower and elderberry. :)

But, it's going to take some work!

6. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

When I was in High School, our Ag class went out to farms and set out hundreds of them for fences. They told us they were next to wonderful for fences and wouldn't spread. Guess they didn't know about birds.

7. Jena

Jena Well-Known Member

I wouldn't say that on a public forum if I were you!

:))

Jena

8. Jena

Jena Well-Known Member

I mow many multi flora roses too. I figured you couldn't mow this one, that's why it was so big. I have about 10 acres where I can't get a mower in. That's where the really big ones are! I have one that the cows turned into a "house". It's so big, they go under it for shade.

When I mow the others, they do come back, but they are small. I go out and spot spray them when I have the time, but mowing is enough to keep them in line most of the time.

My other problem is thorn trees. I have ruined more tires because of those!

Jena

9. countrygrrrl

countrygrrrl PITA

Well, I can't mow it with a conventional mower. :D But I can do terrible evil things to it with loppers and saws and other implements. And I will definitely need to get a small tractor down there to pull out the root system.

About half my land was covered with some totally noxious and ugly bush when I got here. I can't remember the name of it, but it was some kind of invasive with a hideous root system. Grrrr. One of my greatest accomplishments is that I managed to get rid of those bushes! :)

BTW, I agree about Unk. :no: So you're who I get to blame for this, Unk! :D

10. Alice In TX/MO

Alice In TX/MO More dharma, less drama. Supporter

NO NO NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Kill first. Mow later.

If you mow a live multiflora rose, all those little chunks have the potential of rooting and starting another colony. Especially if you drive the tractor over what you mowed and press the little chunks into the dirt.

:eek:

11. They are easy to pull up. Run a chain around it close to the ground that will tighten when you start pulling. If you can't get a truck or tractor to it you can use a com-a-long or fence strechers tied off to a tree. Also if you are willing to give it a little time to work, you can throw a few spike pellets over in the center of it. I have had excellent results with the spike pellets in places that I can't get my tractor. A little 2-4D will take care of the young ones.
    Good luck,
    Mike

12. Jena

Jena Well-Known Member

A four wheeler will pull them out too. If the front end lifts up on you, a couple kids on the front will help, plus they enjoy the ride :)

That also works for pulling cows out of mud too.

Jena

13. countrygrrrl

countrygrrrl PITA

:D Hehe. After several pots of Cowboy Coffee, I am now prepared to spend the morning committing Multiflora Abuse. :yeeha:

They don't stand a chance! :yeeha:

14. Little Quacker in OR

Little Quacker in OR Well-Known Member

:) Well country gurl...YOU are in for a time of it! LOL You should know that herbicides work best when sprayed on a healthy, growing plant. So, use the crossbow(it's for perinneals), and then as Rose said, boink it with your tools...dynamite???LOL

Good luck, LQ

15. Ann-NWIowa

Ann-NWIowa Well-Known Member Supporter

I understand goats love the stuff and will kill it by eating it to the ground. I planted a hedge of the stuff 40+ years ago. Made me very unpopular with the neighbors. Drove through the old neighborhood a number of years ago and the vacant flood plain area across the street was covered with it. The seed catalog said it wouldn't spread and was a lovely living fence -- they lied!

16. countrygrrrl

countrygrrrl PITA

:yeeha:

Well, it's getting better. I backed off today because huge giant cowboy people were out doing Real Work in the field next door :eek: and it does get kind of embarrassing for people to see me hang a hoe on a vine and hang off that hoe and jump up and down and yank and chop at it and not even budge it. :no:

It set the neighbor kid to firing off guns yesterday. :D

Maybe I could get them to come over and just shoot the stupid thing and save me some elbow grease.

:D

17. bearkiller

bearkiller Well-Known Member

Countrygurl,

Some of the posts have touched on a good solution, but not really nailed it. I have some of the Devil Rose, but nothing like yours. My Devil Weed is Himalaya Berries from He**. I've done everything up to and including using ole John Deere and digging 'em out. Takes several passes over several years to get them all.

But I have found an even easier way. I bought and fell in love with a propane flamer. In early spring I go out there and burn the Deveil Weed back. A couple of months later it starts to come back and I burn it again. After several burnings we have come to a truce...it died and I'm happy!

Propane flamer was maybe $100 and I use the 5 gal propane tanks like for your gas grill. My bride thought I was strange when I wouldn't let the flamer out of my hand for a time.

And, for the record, my neighbor has an even worse problem with Himalaya Berries than I do and after discing repeatedly, he turns meat goats onto them. Takes longer than flaming, though.

bearkiller

18. countrygrrrl

countrygrrrl PITA

Bearkiller: !! :yeeha:

One problem I've had since I got here is the amount of desirable growth intermingled with Noxious Invasive Evil Growth over the entire place. That's one reason I haven't gone down there and just set the whole hollow on fire.

For a long time, I didn't even want to use herbicides because I was worried about taking out the good with the bad. But the herbicides I have used here have (whew!) only killed the stuff I wanted them to kill.

So a little *spot* burning might actually be a solution for me. Thanks - great idea! :)