Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
in memoriam
6,352 Posts
That is more common here in my area. Not so much down in town, but up here in the foothills, most folks heat with firewood. DH will be installing his wood stove in the addition he is building. We don't have much firewood, but need to take some time to cut up the dry downed trees. There should be enough for this Winter. It would be great to have that much!

·
Premium Member
2,807 Posts
Neatly stacked! Like to see that.
Cause according to my daughter and SIL wood stacking is an art. I just figure every piece has it's place it's up to the stacker to find that place..... something they have yet to figure out.

Not to sure but looking at your pics that pile is still little shy of what I burn through a season though. :smack

·
Registered
999 Posts
We have enough for 2 MO winters. Even if they are brutal. Thinking of changing to heat pump after that as we don't have the physical strength to keep on with wood. Don't want to spend retirement cutting wood, would rather do our hobbies and take it a little easier.

·
Registered
31,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Neatly stacked! Like to see that.
Cause according to my daughter and SIL wood stacking is an art. I just figure every piece has it's place it's up to the stacker to find that place..... something they have yet to figure out.

Not to sure but looking at your pics that pile is still little shy of what I burn through a season though. :smack
It's really a wide stack too, prolly can't tell from the pic, maybe 3 deep?

·
Registered
31,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I would never have guessed NE Texas! What an amazingly-diverse country we live in.
The pic is from where we were in Maine. I'm glad NE Tx wouldn't need that much!
We woke up to 27 degrees on that lake in ME 2-3 weeks ago!

·
Registered
5,234 Posts
The cold keeps the riff raff out.

The wood looks like it's stacked on pallets so about 4 feet wide. Seems to be about 5 full 4X4X8 foot cords. That's about one winter's worth here.

I try to have 3 years worth of wood cut, split, and stacked. That way I don't have to run the chain saw for several years after TEOTWAWKI. Nothing attracts zombies like the sound of a chain saw but most should be dead after a couple of winters so I can go back to cutting wood. Also, the wood should cure for at least a year before burning.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts